1. traceymcl

traceymcl Member

Time To Write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by traceymcl, May 3, 2013.

I'm wondering how people go around finding time to write and where is the best place people find to write.

I kind of find that I write in short bursts and in a variety of places and I wonder if I might make more progress if I set aside longer stretches of time and dedicated a place to writing?

Thanks,

T

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Contributing Member

Honestly, I never have this particular time that's specifically set aside for writing. I write when I can, if I have the inspiration to do so. I don't like turning it into this "There's a time and place," sort of hobby, because, to me, limiting where and when you write is just a step in the direction of limiting your writing as a whole. And one thing I don't want, as a writer, is to be limited.

If what you're doing right now works well for you, then keep doing it. There's no point in changing up a routine that's served it's purpose for you over time. However, if you don't think you're getting done what you want to get done, then, yeah, maybe spend more time on writing.

3. squishytheduck

squishytheduck Senior Member

I've heard that it's a good idea to learn how to write anytime, anywhere, no matter what the distractions, because you never know when you'll have the time or inclination to do it. I feel like when I set aside time, I can't write anyway. It'll just come out when it comes out, because sometimes the story just needs time to simmer in your mind. Just keep doing what you're doing if it's working for you. Don't worry so much.

4. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit Member

I write when I've got something I think is worth writing. There are certain times of the day when it's more convenient for me to write, though.

5. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

When I set aside a time to write I usually procrastinate :) seriously though, if you want to be a professional writer you have to learn to write in a certain kind of time bound manner. May be not as strictly as a columnist of a magazine but you got to develop a certain routine. Afterall we all go to work even though we don't want to and still do productive work

6. oliviajs411

oliviajs411 New Member

I write when I feel like writing in the mood. Regarding the place where I write, I prefer a calm, quiet place rather than getting surrounded with distractions and noisy people because I cannot concentrate that way. If you have your own time and place to write, choose the comfortable way that works for you.

7. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

I write everyday. Once I get home from work, I would give myself an hour and a half devoted to writing. My writing routine consists of writing a draft, revising a finished draft, creating an outline -- or freehand writing when I don't have a project or when I need a buffer after a project.

Inspiration comes randomly, and it cannot be forced to produce something. Carry a notepad, a notebook or some index cards with you. When inspiration hits, catch it fast by writing it down. If you don't have a pen and paper with you, get that smartphone out and text yourself that flash of lightning. I use those as my fuel for my writing schedule.

And if your fingers are itching and your story just wants to come out, who's to say that you need to wait until you get home? Damn it! Write it down.

8. lonelygirl1984

lonelygirl1984 New Member

I write whenever inspiration hits me. I have even gotten out of bed at 3 in the morning just to go write