1. Pepsik

Pepsik New Member

When your story gives you goosebumps!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Pepsik, Jan 25, 2015.

Hello everyone! So I was mapping out a scene in my story a few days ago, and when I was writing it something happened that never really happened before.

I've been working on this story for years now, and I've grown very attached to the characters in that time. So naturally I was very into it. I was writing a scene in the story where every single one of the villains that my hero had defeated had joined forces with the hero to combat the greater evil that loomed over the world.

”A second chance isn't always given to people like us, but, then again, the world isn't always blessed with people like you,” said the villain that gathered everyone together.

After writing that line of dialogue, considering the characters in the scene, the relationships these characters have had with each other throughout the course of the story, and the fact that I'd been playing out the scene in my head like a movie, I got shivers going down my spine.

That scene, to me, was so epic, seeing all the villains finally put aside their differences in order to work together with the heroes they'd been fighting
    the entire story, that I suddenly got goosebumps just thinking about it. It was awesome and exciting that the story I'd been writing was able to elicit a reaction like that outta me.

So I ask you, is there any particular scene in your story that sent shivers all over your body?

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Not usually, since I've already mentally mapped out the major flow and outline of my book, and so I knew all along when those moments were coming.

3. Lancie

Lancie Senior Member

One of my characters is already dead and at some point soon I'm going to have to write her murder. Different kind of goosebumps!

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Are you writing Care Bears 2?

5. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

:D

Pepsik and Mckk like this.
  6. RachHP

RachHP Senior Member

I've never experienced the 'whole body shiver' thing you're talking about, but I have (rather embarrassingly) burst into tears whilst in the middle of writing a particular scene. My husband was playing Xbox in the same room and it took me ages to explain why, after an hour of harmless silence, I was suddenly weeping over the keyboard.
    I blamed it on a combination of -
    having planned/struggled/re-planned the order of events that led to the scene i was writing (I finally 'cracked' it, which is always very satisfying)
    trying to put myself in the 'emotional mindset' I was trying to convey
    experiencing one of those kismet moments (what Csikszentmihalyi would call 'flow' and what I only WISH I could summon on demand)
    and there was probably some element of sleep deprivation at work as well ;)

I'm always tempted to give such moments of heightened emotional experience/recoil more credit than they probably deserve, so I'd offer the same warning to you that I give to myself - always, ALWAYS, go back in the cold light of day and be reeeealllly critical when you're rewriting such chapters (don't be tempted to leave the scene untouched. 'Kill all your darlings' [William Faulkner] is very valuable advice)

x

aikoaiko likes this.
  7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I know you didn't ask for critique, but I'd rethink the second clause: "the world isn't always blessed with people like you".

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Getting caught up emotionally in your writing, becoming emotionally attached to your characters, seeing your work as a film - I think these are all things that many writers go through as they develop. Enjoy it.

9. Pepsik

Pepsik New Member

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!! That seriously made me laugh hard.....

I think I'll get to work on Care Bears 2!

123456789 likes this.
  10. Pepsik

Pepsik New Member

I don't mind at all! I'll definitely look at it again. But just to ask, what is it about the second clause that needs revision? The grammar? The dialogue itself? Is it cringe worthy? Haha.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Mckk likes this.
  11. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

It's a little cringy. "None of us like this, but needs must when the devil drives." would perhaps be the tone I would be going for.

Pepsik likes this.
  12. Megalith

Megalith Contributor Contributor

i sometimes get goosebumps when conceptualizing the plot, characters and setting. I can imagine how the characters can begin to dance in the world I set up for them and sometimes I get goosebumps from the types of things I end up planning. A lot of the smaller plot details are developed as you write and sometimes then I will get goosebumps.

When I was first developing my sci-fi story I came up with the history and timeline spanning hundreds of thousands of years over the course of a week and it has pretty much remained unchanged. It was odd how it all just flowed into me like it was already there somewhere. That not only gave me goosebumps it made me tear up in awe and wonder. Not for how amazing I thought it was, although I was proud of myself, but at how quickly, detailed, and thorough it came. I thought at that time, that this was the story I was meant to write.

13. Pepsik

Pepsik New Member

Haha, ya I thought as much. Your quote is a bit... sophisticated...to say the least. I would never imagine the character I have in mind to speak in that matter. He's a bit more blunt, direct. Anyway, to be honest, I'm not even sure the scene that I've explained in the original post will make it into the final story as I've thought of another thing to do with the villains that ultimately makes more sense.

Thanks for the feedback though! :) I'll be sure to double check the dialogue from here on out, lol!

14. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm glad you're such good sport. I was rather afraid of offending you, esp as I absolutely think that you should totally enjoy those goosebumps moments and celebrate those scenes. Chrispsinner said it already - yeah, the second clause is a little cringey, because it sounds very cliche. It sounds very much like the author saying something rather than the characters too. I mean, how often do you hear people actually say, "You're such a blessing"? Even in church you don't really hear it used on the people around you, but only for singing songs, quoting the Bible, and talking about the blessings of God. Hence why it sounded unnatural.

15. Pepsik

Pepsik New Member

Aah. That was insightful! Haha. Thanks for the advice, I never thought of it that way. I'm actually pretty exited to write more now with what you guys have said, even looking back at my story and revising it. Thanks a lot guys!! :)

Mckk likes this.
  16. CedricMiddorick

CedricMiddorick New Member

Well, I've done most of my planning first (I've yet to put pen to paper, believe it or not) so I'm not sure about goosebumps but I have had a few "eureka" moments where I'm like "How did I not think about this before? If written well, this part of the story could be so cool!" Then I end up hating the idea two minutes later!