1. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

Now what? i think i need more.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by aguywhotypes, Oct 3, 2015.

I've always wanted to write a story about discovering something shocking or of the fantastical, etc.

So, I was thinking of something like this:

SETTING

Above ground:
    • Your average miserable urban city.
    • Dilapidated housing projects; the main industries of graft, theft and drug-peddling; the angry, violent, desperate residents.

Below ground: if you follow that one strange staircase half-buried under a ruined, abandoned factory.
    • It’s tunnels and staircases and caverns and crap you wouldn’t believe. And no one else will believe you.
    • Because fifty feet past the carved stone threshold your phone stops working.
    • Go down the next set of stairs and your handgun misfires every time
    • and a little farther on, your flashlight just quits - break out the torches. And that’s when them gigantic rats jumped us. "But we showed them!”

• Treasure (Gold, etc)
    • Medieval weapons, etc. (I think I just figured out how to get my medieval weapons in a modern world/setting!)
    • R.O.G.S's (Rodent's Of Gigantic Size)
    • B.O.G.S' (Bugs…) (maybe go with B.R.O.G.S. - Bugs and Rodents of Gigantic Size)
    • Other creatures? (Dinosaurs, dragons, ??)
    • Mutants?
    • Portals - go off into space, underwater (Blue Planet?) and perhaps connect other underground "facilities." ?? Or a medieval setting?

Some people are getting super powers, etc.

I thought the story might be DISCOVERING/FINDING all of this. Then the sad thought occurred to me. I'm not sure it is, or if it is then so what?
    Now What?

I feel there needs to be more than to discover some weird stuff going on underground.
    It all of a sudden feels empty. I think I need to tie this into a larger plot, yes?

2. Acidveins

Acidveins Member

It sounds like you want to write a milieu piece.

Usually, the fun in that type of story is the reader's discovery of the setting and world that has been created.

Let's look at some of the best known works in this type of genre.
    -The lord of the rings

Why did it work? The world was complete. That universe felt like a living breathing entity. If the wind blew easterly, then there would be reprecussions. That is what draws readers to this type of fiction.

Underlying that, there was also a story line that led the characters through the discovery of that world.

To answer your question, yes you need a plot line. You also need characters. All the important elements n writing need to be present, but the focus shifts away from plot lines and characterization, and towards the discovery of the setting.

3. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

Very helpful, thanks.