1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Tips for Just Two?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Killer300, Dec 14, 2011.

I'm about to write a story involving, for the most part, just two characters. There isn't really an antagonist anywhere, although one could perhaps count the setting itself as that, and most of the other people they meet they don't really get to stick with very long for one reason or another.

So, how does one keep a story with just two characters for the most part interesting? By giving them lots of depth? Or just insuring their situation is interesting enough to distract from that? I have seen this done before in the Road, and... well, I didn't particularly love how it worked out there. So, thoughts?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no formula, no particular thing/s that'll make it work 'best' other than the story you're telling and how well you can write...

one 2-character story may succeed due to focusing mostly on the characters, while another may work being focused more on the situation... and either method may just as well fail, due to poor writing...

all you can do is go ahead and write it, then see if you made it work...

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, well was hoping for more, but understandably this is how things are frequently. Thanks.

4. sithkittie

sithkittie New Member

You could make one of the characters, or both, their own antagonist. I personally don't find stories without any sort of conflict that interesting. I don't think it necessarily has to be external conflict, or even high-charged internal conflict, but I think a story at least neads some kind of antagonist. I think it'd give the characters depth, not to mention something to do other than exist and go through events. Then again, if your setting is antagonistic, that itself would be the conflict... I'd still say add something either between the characters or within one or both of the characters to add another level to keep it interesting. Those are my thoughts anyway. :)

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, actually, I did have an idea like that for the early parts.:) These characters aren't exactly on friendly terms to say the least.

6. UnknownBearing

UnknownBearing New Member

...both... and more. The two characters are both protagonists and antagonists since the story is about both of them equally. You keep the story interesting if it's actually interesting, there's no gimmicks. Develop these characters, make their situation real. If you intend to write by distracting the reader from characters lacking depth like you said, that's going to be an awful story no matter how you spin it.

7. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, okay, I get it. Also, this has helped me understand my issues with the Road a lot better to say the least. Thanks guys!:)