1. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

Tips on Query Letters to Magazines

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by lostinwebspace, Nov 2, 2011.

Hey everybody,

Does anybody have any tips on writing query letters to magazines for a flash fiction story of 2,800 words? I'm at a loss. I've got a book here that details novel query letters and cover letters, and I could extrapolate from that, but I want to make sure I get this right without assuming what to include and what not to. I've written novel queries, but never flash fiction queries, so I don't have any old templates I can use.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You usually don't have to write query letters for short stories (unless the magazine guidelines state otherwise). You just have to write a cover letter and send that along with the story. There are a number of short story cover letters that can be found online.

Also, 2800 words isn't considered flash fiction. Your word count falls in the range of a short story.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

thirdwind is right. Check the specific magazine's requirements, but generally you send a cover letter/email consisting of details of the story (the title, a brief, one-sentence plot summary, the word count and the genre) and a brief bio of yourself/your credits.

And flash fiction is (depending who you ask) either under 1000 words or under 500. 2,800 words is a rather healthy short story.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... all of the above...

5. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

Whoops. I've got query letters on the brain right now. Meant cover letter. You're right.