1. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 Member

Tips on Rough Drafting?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Jinx1115, Jul 23, 2008.

Alright, so I've been planning this new Novel rather attentively these past days. I mean, not simply starting out on Chapter one and going on from there like I usually do, which by the way isn't all that bad for me as I get fresh ideas and I can change a lot of things from what I first started out with.

Anyway, I have done somekind of Rough Draft, planning on all the Main Characters, the Plot, the Layout and detailed Time Period but I was wondering all that time if I have been doing it right. What do you think? How should a Rough Draft be set and what is all of the things you put in it?

Plus, any tips on writing a good Novel? By that I don't mean the style and all the Spellcheck and stuff, I mean the Sceduale on writing, when to stop writing for the day/night and whatever else anyone can think of. Thanks!
    --Melanie:love:

2. Flozzie

Flozzie Active Member

As for the last question about a scheule on writing, I think that is something that everyone must figure out for themselves. Someone is at their most productive late at night while others like to write early in the morning. So when it comes to when to write there is nothing that's right or wrong. As long as it's the right thing for you it doesn't matter when you do it.

As for the planning of your novel... I guess that also depends on the writer. Some like to have everything planned when they start writing, while others want more freedom. So again, I say that is also up to you.

And good luck with your writing!

3. Necromortis

Necromortis Member

It sounds more like you have an outline rather than a rough draft (which I associate more with 'first draft').

But personally, when I write, I tend to outline the major plot points in my head. I also work on characters - what they look like, their history, etc. Once I've worked on it mentally/verbally (sounding board friends are great), and I've had time to revise and the like, I get my butt into gear and write the outline down.

Generally, it's morphed quite a lot by the time I've got everything written down, and it's still very general.

And then I start writing.

~Christian

4. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 Member

Alright. Thanks, that sounds good. I have pretty much everything under control then. I'll be putting up a part of the first Chapter in a week or two so keep looking! :D

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How you approach a rough draft is a very individual matter. Some prefer to plan everything out in advance, down to minute details before writing the first actual sentence of the piece. Others start with a scene idea, and not even necessarily the opening scene, and just start writing to see where the situation and the character lead off to.

However, I do recommend that "rough drafts" be kept out of sight, like the crusty uncle who drools and farts all the time. Don't share or ask for opinions about Uncle Gus until you've cleaned him up a bit and adjusted his diet.

It amazes me how often people throw something together in a few minutes and omigodIcannotwaittoshow everyone! Instead, sit on it for a time, and look it over after a few hours, or even days. Fix the things you notice on a fresh reading, and fix all the SPAG errors you can before showing it to anyone else. You may even find gaping plot holes you want to hurriedly cover over, and signs of exhaustion-induced dementia in which you called Sally Bruce by mistake.

Always put your best foot forward. No matter what anyone tries to tell you, first impressions are hard to erase.

6. Necromortis

Necromortis Member

Well also keep in mind that everyone has a different method of writing. I used to write simply by sitting down and typing. I found I tended to get bored with the plot/have no idea where to go with the story halfway through the book/story, so I adopted my method.

Do whatever works best for you.

~Christian

7. Jinx1115

Jinx1115 Member

Alright, thanks. I'll keep all of that in mind.