Tags:
  1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributing Member Contributor

Title help

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by GuardianWynn, Apr 3, 2015.

I was thinking of starting a new book project and as such I was wondering what to call it. My current idea is "The Order: Tarvoss Tide"

Does that sound silly?

To give a bit of a background all of my writing currently involves this one universe. The main story of that universe I call "The Order" In addition I have more working concepts from that title that I currently call;
    "The Order: Redemption"
    "The Order: Return of Alptraumkatze"
    "The Order: Reborn" <- that one I am also on the fense about.

Is this a silly way to name things? Is this bad? Am I over thinking this?

To give more depth to the one I made this thread about. Tarvoss is the surname of the main character and her motive in the book is witnessing a family member die. Tarvos spelled with 1 S is the name of a moon. So I thought, moon, tide the death of a moon motivating the main character or pulling them forward. Or at least that is how my mental thought process went. Sorry it was kind of scattered. Is that symbolism? Is that cool? Is that lame? i have no idea. Help me please!

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm not a fan of words I can't pronounce. That's my only input.

TWErvin2 likes this.
  3. GuardianWynn

Assuming just Alptraumkatze?
    Or did others give you trouble?
    Alptraumkatze translates to "Nightmare Cat"

4. GingerCoffee

Tarvoss doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either, but yeah it was alptraumkatze. I see this kind of vocabulary and sometimes bizarre names in a lot of books and it does nothing for me. Why not call it nightmare cat?

As for tying your series together by calling it, "The Order: XYZ", I think that's fine.

5. GuardianWynn

Yeah Tarvoss is a bit wierd admittingly.
    Well Alptraumkatze is a code name of a character. The idea is she was a terrorist and that was her known name. I figured "Nightmare Cat" doesn't come off as cool.
    "The Order: Return of the Nightmare Cat" Didn't seem as epic? Want do you think?

Thanks for the imput

6. GingerCoffee

So make the word for nightmare cat something simpler.

7. GuardianWynn

How exactly do you do that?

8. Ivana

Ivana Contributing Member

I actually like the sound of "Tarvoss Tide". Even "The Order: Tarvoss Tide", although "the order" in general sounds a bit cliché to me. Makes me instantly think of a secret society of warriors in a fantasy world.
    Also, I prefer "Tarvos tide" over "Tarvoss tide", regarding your explanation about the names. Tide on the moon somehow sounds better to me than tide of the surname :D While it is perfectly clear that the main character could be connected to the moon, and to the tide. Or you could simply name your character Tarvos. :)

As for the other titles...
    The Order: Redemption - too cliché, déjà vu, etc.
    "The Order: Return of Alptraumkatze" - Huh? Of what?
    "The Order: Reborn" - again, a bit cliché.
    Why not making the entire series having a title "Tarvos Tide" if that is something you can relate every book to, and then you could come up with short, catchy titles for each book separately?

GingerCoffee likes this.
  9. GuardianWynn

Generally when I refer to the stories I only use the after the order name. So I call them "Tarvoss Tide" "Redemption" "Return of Alptraumatze" actually in that ones case I generally call it ORA. The order comes not from a secret society but from the origin of this world Which is pretty much futurist. Magic developed which inspired a world war three. When the dust settled the suvivors founded a UN of sorts but instead of united nations it was The United World Order or The Order for short. I always liked calling my main book The Order. I tag the others with it because I thought it was cool and because it acts as a easy tell that they all take place in the same universe.

Is that lame?

Alptraumkatze is German for Nightmare Cat

Yeah Reborn needs work too. I suck at names!

10. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Out of the options I would call it Tarvos Tide, and remove The Order.

As others have said, The Order, Redemption and Reborn sound cliché.

Nightmare Cat sounds like I've come home and Tigger has crapped on the carpet, and German isn't exactly obscure, I'd imagine most people would get the meaning.

11. Ivana

No, you don't - "Tarvos tide" is pretty cool. :)
    I'd say you just need to dig a bit deeper into your story and find something that's really vital to it, like something truly meaningful to the story and to you, not necessarily something which is expected in the genre...
    Why not "The World United" or something like that for the series, since I can see from your description that's something this order is fighting for...

12. Ivana

Gosh, a lot of "somethings" :p

GuardianWynn likes this.
  13. sprirj

sprirj Contributing Member

Maybe 'the night lion' would be a better name?

14. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

I asked something similar, and ended up dropping part of a name, I think in this instance you need to drop The Order. or call the series itself The Order, then you still get something similar when written down but its not a mouthful, plus Alptraumkatze is a bit of a mouthful, even for someone who is used to European language. maybe something like "Nightmare" or "Dreams of the Dark" would be a bit better.

15. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

As was said, tying the series of books together with: "The Order:" is a solid idea.

Tarvoss isn't that bad. Easy to say. Alptraumkatze, on the other hand, might move folks away...click on something else. Remember, the title is a marketing tool. You're novel will often be selected for a closer look based upon the title and the cover. While an author's name can be a major influence as well, not so much if you're not well known. If a reader sees Alptraumkatze and is a bit confused, maybe they'll look closer, but my gut says they'll move on to another thumbnail or click to another page.

As it's early in the project, just select one as a working title. You may come up with something better, or begin to narrow it as you near completion.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  16. GuardianWynn

Alptraumkatze is a name! lol.
    Or to be precise an Alas. So the title is in a sense. Return of Certain Character.
    So your counter suggestions don't really fit the current theme.

Yeah you make a point. Funny enough though that point may work as a plus not a minus. That project title is probably the least stand alone. Not to say it isn't stand alone. Rather much of my work references the character codenamed Alptraumkatze. So it may have a lot of appeal to someone familiar with that character and less appeal to someone who doesn't know the character. This could work in my advantage. And of course you make a point. A title can change at any time. If publisher goes. "We accept it if you change the title" then the title is a changing. lol