1. lamental

lamental New Member

Title help!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by lamental, Apr 23, 2012.

Hi I need help with coming up with a nice/unique title for my long story.

The plot of the story is: a 16 year old boy (who lives with his single hardworking mother) name Dylan is a awkward, caring boy, and victim of bullying at his school. He doesn't have no friends until he discovers this insane asylum for the young (which is 20 minutes from his home) aftershcool while riding his bike. He sneaks in there (since one of the asylum patients, Anslee lured him in) and is not welcome by the other patients (especially the "popular" rude, most insane patient of the asylum, Jesse).

Later on Dylan befriends Jesse, and 4 other patients between the ages 13-17 (Anslee, Sarah, Connor, and Zackery) whom they all share their tragic stories. Friendships grew stronger, but a few chaotic events happens outside the asylum (thanks to Dylan).

Genres of the story: horror, comedy, musical (yes it's a musical...but different!), and drama

I need a really good title for my story, I asked some other writers but they said "Methods of Madness" is good (I dont really like it) or a one-word title like those teenage no-good horror books (which I despise)

I hope I could get some awesome help here!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, how can it be only a 'story' and be a 'musical' which would have to be a stage play or a film?

next, how can he remain in the 'asylum' and not be tossed out when discovered, since he's not an actual patient?

3. Fantasy-Friend

Fantasy-Friend New Member

um no offence I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure i saw a movie a few months ago with this same plot

4. Winzett

Winzett Member

Uhm, maybe "Accord with the dissimilar" :)

But honestly, it's quite hard to come up with a title for a story someone else wrote.

5. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause Contributing Member

How about "It's Kind of a Funny Story" ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Mamma got there first, but I was going to point out these things too. Written stories cannot be musicals - you can insert song lyrics, but that does not make it a musical. You could make it an audio book I guess, or you could fit the cover with one of those annoying pre-recorded clips activated when you open it, but then no one would be able to read it because it would get too annoying and they'd have to close the book. Yeah, I'm struggling to see how this mixed media concept could work.

Plus - don't insane asylums (we don't call them that anymore) have pretty tight security? The only thing I could think of that wouldn't is something like an out patient centre for mentally disabled people, but they're not insane... Yeah, maybe you need to do some research into the types of establishment that provide residential care for people with psychological disorders.

7. MissRis

MissRis Contributing Member

Your story sounds interesting, but I'm also confused about the musical aspect. As another commenter noted, please do not refer to psychiatric hospitals as insane asylums. It is offensive and outdated. Additionally, you must also remember that psychiatric wards/hospitals have extremely tight security. There are buzz entrances, visitors must sign in and out, and depending on the patient and ward they may not even be allowed to have visitors.

That being said, depending how you structure your story, this doesn't have to axe the whole idea. There are visitor hours, day passes, weekend passes, and even hour long passes (all depending on the patient's circumstances). Now this could easily be solved if he becomes a volunteer or something to that effect. You would have to look into the details and regulations.

Finally, please treat this subject with the utmost care. Some of the language you are using like, "insane asylum," "most insane," and even "madness" are not politically correct terms. Although there is much debate about language among professionals and patients alike, please do some research to find the most acceptable terms. I don't mean to sound like such an overly politically correct pain, but this subject in particular is very near to my heart.

8. Rickswan

Rickswan Member

"Boy Interrupted"

9. Rusty

Rusty New Member

The Thorazine Teen

10. BytheNine

BytheNine New Member

Driven to Insanity

11. lorilee

lorilee Member

Personally, I think either a title suggests itself to the author right away, or an outsider needs to read the whole work to come up with a title. There are often nuances to the writing that don't come across in a summary that render a title appropriate or not.

12. RageAgainst

RageAgainst Member

Voluntary Insanity....

13. superpsycho

superpsycho Contributing Member

Uncommon Madness - Uncommon Minds - Asylum Clan - Young and Crazy - Growing Sane - Sane the Hard Way

14. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Sounds like a mixture of schoolboy drama and The Boy in Striped Pyjamas.

As MissRis has already said, be very careful with the terms you're using. Not only for sensitivity reasons but also the way you're talking about your own story makes me think you've done no research and has no understanding of what madness or psychological trauma/disorder is. Now don't get me wrong, I haven't a clue either, but then I'm not trying to write a book based around it. But how can a writer who has no understanding of madness, write about madness? His interpretation would be speculative at best and deeply hurtful at worst, following only stereotypes and thus demeaning genuinely ill patients. (not to mention also your characters would not feel real and may even come across as comical caricatures of insane people, further offending the general population at large)

However, you sound like you have a very interesting idea but I think you'd certainly benefit from some research.

As for your title - what is the theme of your book? What does Dylan discover? What kind of growth does he and his friends experience? Base your title on that. What is your book about? I don't mean the story - I mean what is your message?

By the way, it cannot be a "musical" if it's a book, no matter how "different" you try to make it or reinterpret the term. The term "musical" is a fixed term with a definite meaning behind it. If you're gonna reinvent words, that's fine, but it must be done in context so that the reader understands and can accept the term with its new meaning. But simply throwing a known term out there and calling it "different" isn't quite the way it works. You're talking genre and styles - it'll be much harder to reinvent than a simple word that's in daily usage.

15. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

"Dylan and his Friends".

Then all the parents will think it's a cool children's book and buy it for their children, only to be horrified as they discover the content inside.

16. LottieLab

LottieLab New Member

Insanity

Sorry, I just adore short, snappy titles:D!

17. aimeekath

aimeekath Senior Member

I think this is a really important point that I completely agree with. Perhaps do some more research. You could also set it in the past where everything was a bit less PC and make a comment on how patients should be treated with respect as there is actually a person there too, instead of just an illness.

Umm.. . I'm terrible with titles but maybe look for a good synonym of 'insane' or find something with multiple meanings.

18. Cristian

Cristian Member

Mental Altercation?

19. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

Driving Miss Daisy Insane :p

On-topic, I have a story that's set mostly in a psychiatric hospital, though the real meat of the story is a flashback. The doctor refers to it as a psychiatric hospital or mental institution, but the main character say she's in the nuthouse, loony bin and the asylum. (meaning insane asylum). Sure some of those names are offensive, but so what? I'm not exactly a fan of being politically correct just to avoid offending the reader. It's just a story. Heck, I could write a story about patients in a psychiatric hosptial and call if "Tales from the Loony bin" if I wanted to. Offensive? Probably. But so what?

20. MissRis

MissRis Contributing Member

I think it's different when your character refers to a psychiatric hospital as a "bin," or "asylum." Take memoirs about mental illness for example. Kate Millet, a prolific feminist who spent a lot of time in psychiatric hospital has entitled her book "The Looney Bin Trip." It is assumed that this is a comment about how people view psychiatric patients and hospitals. However, if doctors in your story (unless they are rude, arrogant, ignorant, and abusive towards patients) or your narrator is referring to them that way then it's a different story, as they should know the proper terminology.

Also, I think saying something is "just a story" is extremely dangerous. Stories have the ability to propagate stigmas and stereotypes if they are the only article of information that the reader has seen on a certain topic. This is not always true when it's a supernatural, fantasy, fiction of some kind. But when dealing with "real life" issues that effects a massive amount of the population, and understood by very few, then I think it is imperative to tread delicately.

21. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

Sadly I keep thinking of un PC titles which you couldn't really use - "Friendship from the edge of reason" was the best I think. But there was also
    "ECT and me."
    "Teenagers and other Psychoses."
    "Imaginary Friends."

But you could try something more cryptic eg -
    "Altered Realities."
    "A Dream of Friendship."
    "Echoes of Friendship."
    "The Bonds of Reason."
    "In His Right Mind."
    "At Wit's Beginning."

I hope these give you some ideas to work with.

Cheers, Greg.

22. Cristian

Cristian Member

So, have you chosen your title yet?

23. matthewseric

matthewseric New Member

Take a title that related to your story.