1. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 Senior Member

Title too long..

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by skeloboy_97, Aug 14, 2011.

Sorry about the title, i wasnt sure how to summarise my issue.
    Anyway, the thing is that ive just finished a plot line for a book. Im not even sure what genre it is, its a wierd sorta book. Possibly fantasy i guess.
    Anyway, i have suddenly lost interest for the book. I have inspiration for another crime/thriller story. Do you think it is a good idea to write the new book completely (planning, drafting, editing) etc... and then go back to the old project if i feel like? Or continue on the book i just finished plotting out? Thing is, i have no inspiration for the old book, and would much prefer the new book.

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

Go where your energy is.

If you've lost interest in a book before you've even begun writing it then it's pointless to force yourself. As you've said, you can always come back to it later. Write the one that appeals to you most.

3. KarlSmith

KarlSmith Member

If you have no inspiration for one piece of writing you should drop it, you can always go back to it later

4. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributing Member Contributor

Then put the old one on hold and work on the new one. You have the outline for the old one ready anyway, so you can come back to it later if you feel like it.

5. DBock

DBock Member

I'm always writing three things at once and I know that JK Rowling writes two things at once. Go for it. Who cares? :) Helps to get your mind off something while still feeling accomplished.

6. chatterbox

chatterbox Member

if you don't start to write the new one soon you may never feel the motivation to write the particular peice of work so my advice is to write what you are urged to and come back to the other one later

7. Thought

Thought Member

Same thing happens to me quite alot, and while there is a chance that you may never actually be motivated to finish the older book, you might find that you actually enjoy the new one more. So if that's what feels right then go for it.