1. jacktheknife

jacktheknife Member

"Titles are not copy writed"

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jacktheknife, Sep 13, 2011.

Fellow writing enthusiasts,

I Googled, the title to my book after ten years working on it and found it was being used by some Jesus movie. I was very distraught. I couldn't think of another title to save my life, what? God spoke to me with a beautiful vision and I killed five bad cops with my keyboard? I have grieved over my lost title for a year, till this afternoon. Visions and Miracles is the title to my book and no other will do. Anything else is too long, not to the point, shallow.
    This was a year ago.

I Goggled the title again this afternoon and I had not looked hard enough. There is not only one movie entitled Visions and Miracles, there are endless books, endless movies, no end to all the uses, and variations of the Visions and Miracles title.

I was reading today and saw quite by accident that titles are not copyrighted. So the title to my book is back on. I am so happy and relieved. The only problem is the unlimited other uses of my title. It may make it hard to find, and lost in the Visions and Miracles crowd.

I barely survived being murdered four times in the last 10 years and I'm getting tired of it. I was even reported dead by the policeman who was called out the next morning to the site of my motorcycle wreck, which was not an accident by the way. That was 2001 and since then I have been almost shot twice and have had my already once crushed spine crushed again.

In 2001 I was in a coma for five weeks and the Hospital for five months. When I was unconscious God spoke to me with what was a beautiful vision. It was not a dream, as my Doctor, after I woke up and told him about the vision said: People don't dream while in a coma".
    So it wasn't a dream after all it was real. God said...{Wait for the book y'all}

The second time I sensed the trap, and refused to turn my right side towards the van behind me and go for my glove box for my insurance card the cops said I didn't have. Two cars and a big van pulled me over for weaving. After being told that I was going to jail for no insurance by a short, fat rookie with a strange sneer and a big smile. I stood without handcuffs leaning on my car for ten or fifteen minutes. No one was in the front seat of any of the vehicles, no one was outside the cars they were in the van looking down the barrel of a rifle at me waiting to murder me, I sensed it. I am a trapper and one can't trap a trapper.
    A bunch of fifth graders could have set a better trap, it was moronic. Second time I was deliberately assaulted and battered in jail by the jailers, they were waiting on me, jumped from behind I was for no reason. Resulting in further, severe, permanent, and inoperable spinal damage by the xxx and xxx police departments, to an already disabled former coma patient, with no criminal record, and ensuing cover up.
    The charges are: "Conspiracy to commit murder, and after three three failed murder attempts, conspiracy to destroy the evidence and hide everything, punishable by 99.5 years.
    I was told by the Sheriffs department and the Texas Rangers that five cops from two police departments have no defense, they are dead, unquote.

The third time I was coming out of my Lawyers office a year later thirty miles north of where I live and the jail goon, was coming up the stairs. We passed and he turned and pulled his pistol and pointed at my back just as a Dallas police car drove by, spooking him and I made it home. It was my letter that had alerted the Sheriffs department and the Texas Rangers and District Attorney to be watching me and they told me about that a few weeks later, all of it on film.

The vision is my beautiful visit with God who told my hounds, poisoned 12 years ago by the same guys who tried to kill me 12 years later, it broke my heart and it will never heal, are all alright now. "Jack, Cotton Joe, has been 3-4-5 different dogs by now, they are all fine, you are the only one still suffering and that It hurts them to see you still grieving for them so much, it has been 12 years"!
    "They would all be here with you if they could but they can't.
    God said: "Jack, you are missing your life. "Get you some hounds and go hunting".

The miracle is the fact that I survived any of that.
    I was reported dead 2001:
    "No breath, no pulse, dead"!
    Then three murder attempts by two police departments.
    If that were not enough to be worth writing about I was the one who walked in the xxx police department and told the Sgt:
    "I want to speak to your highest ranking officer on duty, right now"!
    And when asked the reason I said: "Collusion, conspiracy, assault, attempted murder, false arrest, false imprisonment". I was lead back in the police department and here came the 5'8: 300 Lb brother in law of the rookie who arrested me.
    It gets better and better but that's enough for now.

Visions and Miracles is the perfect title for my book, my memoir.
    "God spoke to me with a beautiful vision and I killed five bad cops with my keyboard is too long", see? But what do y'all think about a title so mixed up with hundred of other books and movies?
    I don't care, that's the title if it makes the book bomb.
    That's it, but I would appreciate feed back from others,
    especially you, Mr. Cogito sir.
    Visions and Miracles can not be improved upon, or can it?

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

There are books that share titles with movies and with other books. You'll be fine calling it "Visions and Miracles."

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you read the US Copyright Office site, you will find it explicitly stated.

Note that the word is copyright, not copywrite or copy write. There is such a thing as copy writing, but it refers to writing advertising copy, and has nothing to do with protecting intellectual property.

4. jacktheknife

jacktheknife Member

Cogito,

Here is the exact text of the quote I mentioned and it is copyright.
    I said I have to look up every big word. I missed one. I spelled it right but used it wrong, sorry and thanks.

The title of a book is the first thing a person reads, whether at the library, bookstore, or online. The cover of the jacket is important, too, of course, but the title should stand on its own.

Titles are not copyrighted so try not to use a title that's already been used more than once. I've searched for titles my patrons requested and sometimes came up with three or more exact titles written by various authors. You want your title to be unique, if possible. Try googling your title online; you may be surprised with the results... or not.

Does this mean titles are in fact unable to be copyrighted? If so good.
    Do you like the title, really?

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Jack: As others have noted above, titles cannot generally be protected by copyright. In some cases, they may be protected by trademark law. In your case, I don't think there is much to worry about.

6. jacktheknife

jacktheknife Member

Hi,

I was having a burger and realized that since there are hundred of other books with the same title that using it should not be too much of a problem, duh.

Thank you...

Jack the Knife

7. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

No they aren't copyrighted, and in celebration of that fact my next book has been provisionally titled Lord of the Rings! (Oddly enough it has nothing to do with lord's or rings, its a book about crop circles and Lord the alien busy tramping them out every night!)

Cheers.

8. digitig

digitig Contributing Member Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    The whole intellectual property area is fraught. As others have pointed out, you have trademark to worry about as well as copyright. And even if you are in the right you could end up in a world of pain when you try to market the book. Companies have been known to issue DMCA take-down notices and report downloaders for copyright infringement based on title alone. I note that one of the movies called "Visions and Miracles" is distributed by Fox, who are highly litigious (so much so that one division of Fox once threatened to sue another division of Fox). If you have the time and resources to defend yourselves against Fox then you should win, but wouldn't you rather be doing something else?

For some informative light relief, have a look at how the Marx Brothers handled a similar case in more innocent times.

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

If your book is accepted by a publisher, they will probably have their own ideas regarding the title.

10. JackElliott

JackElliott Senior Member

"God spoke to me with a beautiful vision and I killed five bad cops with my keyboard" is a much more interesting title than "Visions and Miracles." Pretty awesome, actually.

The fact that "Visions and Miracles" is everywhere on the net should be a clear indication that it is not unique, thoughtful, or interesting in any way whatsoever.

11. jacktheknife

jacktheknife Member

Jack Elliot,

I'm glad you like that version of the title even though it is sort of long...
    It's the contrast thing isn't it?

Actually V & M is not only rotten, it's so old and over used it is meaningless.
    The first title you liked is a good title, I like it too but it is way too long.
    And I am sure it can be improved on. I have a while till the trial.
    And I forgot that I didn't report this to the D.A. and Texas Rangers for a year as I was trying to get the evidence from the two cities, to no avail. So it has only been reported three years and not four since the crime took place, and it takes two years to get to small claims court if you want to go!

Visions and Miracles is out as a title.
    {Reminds me of Bishop Fulton Sheen on T.V. back in the 50's}.

I feel much better about the timing and it was your response that somehow reminded me. I was beginning to worry, so I owe you a cold home brew.

Thanks...

Jack the Knife

12. TobiasJames

TobiasJames Contributing Member

Here's a golden one for you...

I just tried running the title "Visions and Miracles" through one of those online translators, translating it back and forth between many different languages and then back into English...

The resulting title? "Images of a future unexplained"

Not a bad title, in fairness!

13. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko Contributing Member

It seems your question has been answered and confirmed multiple times. Good luck with writing!