1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. hrdoyle3

hrdoyle3 Member

Titles...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hrdoyle3, Nov 20, 2012.

It seems my writer's block only hits when it comes to titles. I try to never get hung up on making a title, and always save it until the end, but then nothing ever seems to fit the way I would like it to.

Just curious as to what processes other writers do, if any, to create a title that fits your story

2. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

The name of a character or what a character is (ex: Wizard) can be a good title. Or a certain area.

3. Kinch

Kinch Member

What I personally did for my planned novel was look at the structure of a book title I love. In my case, I went to Gravity's Rainbow and thought: "What could be a title that has such an ominous ring, and yet has such an eerie depth if one understands it and its place in the novel?"

I will say that we all struggle with titles. A famous author that come to mind is Phillip K. Dick. I mean, I think Ubik is his best title because it's just one word.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I like to keep my titles simple and easy to remember - something that sums up
    the book's tone.

It's like Fight Club - simple title, that basically tells it all.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

I take a look at the theme of my story, book, or song, and then see if there's an image, phrase, or lyric which sums it up. If there is, I have a title. If not, I will put one together.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i almost always have a title before i start a story... and when i don't, it makes itself known long before i get to the end...