1. hrdoyle3

hrdoyle3 Member

Titles...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hrdoyle3, Nov 20, 2012.

It seems my writer's block only hits when it comes to titles. I try to never get hung up on making a title, and always save it until the end, but then nothing ever seems to fit the way I would like it to.

Just curious as to what processes other writers do, if any, to create a title that fits your story

2. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

The name of a character or what a character is (ex: Wizard) can be a good title. Or a certain area.

3. Kinch

Kinch Member

What I personally did for my planned novel was look at the structure of a book title I love. In my case, I went to Gravity's Rainbow and thought: "What could be a title that has such an ominous ring, and yet has such an eerie depth if one understands it and its place in the novel?"

I will say that we all struggle with titles. A famous author that come to mind is Phillip K. Dick. I mean, I think Ubik is his best title because it's just one word.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

I like to keep my titles simple and easy to remember - something that sums up
    the book's tone.

It's like Fight Club - simple title, that basically tells it all.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Contributing Member

I take a look at the theme of my story, book, or song, and then see if there's an image, phrase, or lyric which sums it up. If there is, I have a title. If not, I will put one together.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i almost always have a title before i start a story... and when i don't, it makes itself known long before i get to the end...