1. Kefa

Kefa New Member

To Be a Daughter: It Begins, Comeback!

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Kefa, Jan 9, 2017.

Here I am, again, after two finished manuscripts. I have been really busy with writing those two pieces, and although they met their unfortunate demise at the hands of the publishing houses, I have not given up! My fourth manuscript is now in the making.

The second manuscript (a novella) and the third one (a novel) both got some feedback from the publishers. I got praised for prose and unique ideas, but got rejected based on marketing. The second one being a novella and part of a uncommon genre in a Finnish publishing landscape, the third for some unknown reason (one publisher had too many books coming out of the same genre).

So here I am. The fourth one is almost halfway there. My resolution for the 2017 is to finish at least two manuscripts, and write at least a few short stories.

You see, I'm not very "adept" at making short stories. My stories usually end up being at least novellas, so I haven't actually written a short story in a long time. I'm pretty sure it's been over a year.

This Progress Journal is mostly meant for those few short stories I have made a pledge to write and finish. The first one being a science fiction story about being a daughter and at the same time being not. I hope to get it done and edited before the end of February.

2. Kefa

Kefa New Member

And just when I had just said that I would use this Journal to journal (get it?) at least a few short stories, that one idea I had just gained some weight and became a novella. Again!

And it just happens that I got ideas for two other novellas based on the same theme. So here I am, plotting the three novella collection.

Oh, and guess what? It seems my fourth manuscript for teenagers (YA) just devolved from a novel to novella. I put all my strength to making the first story arc as good as possible and will then sell it as a two-parter. That will harm my chances at getting it published, but at around 150-160 pages it may just be long enough to cross the magical barrier of risky endeavor, at least here in Finland.