1. Xander

Xander New Member

Where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Xander, Mar 10, 2011.

Hi all,

I used to write a good deal, short stories - poetry - role plays - blogs etc... I haven't written anything properly in years and recently found this great place.

I have more time now than I did and I really want to sink my teeth back into the delight of writing. Where do I begin though? Where is a good easy start back into writing?

What is the easiest way to get back in the flow of it?

Thanks for your advice,
    Xander

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Perhaps you could start with short stories or articles? You might find it easier to write from personal experience to start off with, although I don't recommend a diary. It's good to try and craft a beginning, middle and end to your work. You might like to give yourself a word limit, e.g. 2,000 words, and a deadline, e.g. 3 days from start to having it edited, printed off, and resting in the new 'My Writing' dossier you will have bought for yourself.

Just as an example, since you obviously really like your new place, you could tell the story of how you found it and knew it was right for you, what plans you have for it etc. You could try telling it in third person, giving yourself another name, maybe changing some facts, to make it fiction. Or you could keep it non-fiction, and write about the problems of finding a good place and why this area and house is good.

If you like fantasy, you can still have it from personal experience, since lots of fantasy stories start with a character finding something in a house they have just moved into...

3. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Dig out one of your old story concepts and start messing with it? What was your favorite premise? Maybe you have a favorite event or detail, and a whole story could be written just to try and include that.

4. Xander

Xander New Member

Thanks - I really like these ideas. I think the idea of setting out a time limit and the forward planning sounds really good. I feel very rusty as I never even thought of those things.

Any other good advice for planning a short story like that?

Time Limit: 3 days.
    Word Limit: 2,000
    Beginning:
    Middle:
    End:

Anything else?

I think I will try to write something fictional about finding a new house.

=)

5. Fiona

Fiona New Member

The best way is to literally just throw yourself back into writing. Whether it's another short story, or the first few chapters for a novel... just write and write. The practise will help you to mentally get into a creative mind-set.
    And don't forget, if you write something you hate, it doesn't matter - that's what the delete button is for. You can't lose anything from writing, even if you don't keep what you create. It's all good experience.

Good luck :)

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Firstly, I suggest writing regularly (daily, three times a week etc.). It doesn't matter what you write, as long as you do write to get back into the swing of it.

As for genre/style, I would go with a short story so that you can refresh yourself on writing a beginning, middle and end. You don't necessarily need to plan this, it's up to you, but set yourself an achievable word count. Also, what genre/style are you most interested in? Try writing in that genre/style.

And of course, make sure you keep reading so you can learn from published writers.

7. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

To your last question, read. Read some of your most favorite books.

To begin, just start writing. Write anything and everything that comes to your mind. I know this may seem weird, but once your brain starts getting back into your stories, a thousand thoughts will start ramming your creative conscious. They'll vie to be listened to or picked up and placed on the page. This is good. This is where writing will begin again for you :)

8. Manav

Manav New Member

This sounds tailor made for the short story competition in this site. A purpose is always a great motivator, for me at least.

9. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Open a new document in your favorite word processor or document preparation system.

Press the following keys in the given order:
    - 'I'
    - 't'
    - Space
    - 'w'
    - 'a'
    - 's'
    - Space

And keep going untill you've written about 2000 more of those letters.

Realize you're writing again!

Post the resulting text in the Review section so we can tear it appart with the barely tenable excuse of learning and teaching.

Enjoy.

However, I must say I've never written just for the sake of it. I've always started from the side of "wanting to tell this to someone" and used writing as a mere tool.

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Read your post, and realize that you have just started.

:cool: