1. Niklas

Niklas New Member

To let the script rest

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Niklas, Apr 22, 2015.

So i have finished my novel. Ive been writing for 5 months constantly reading the material to my girlfriend. Many of you guys now tell me to let the script rest for a month (maybe 2). The thing is that I don’t really see the point. The first 75% of the script has rested 3-5 months. I am aware of the plot of course and I don’t think it will fade away for like a year since Ive been writing every day and also took some weeks recently to fix plotholes allover the script.
    So is there really necessary to let I t rest? Whats the point if you look at my given background of the writing process? Maybe I should let the last 25% rest for a month but when I ve red till 75% a month would have passes. In addition to this 5 persons who never seen the script will read and give their opinion.
    Whats your opinions to this matter? I apologize for my English.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Let it rest for a month? Where did you get that from?

The whole point is that you will then approach your novel with fresh eyes, rather than knowing it intimately the way that you do now, and you'll have a better idea of how a reader will see it, and a better idea of what isn't right about it, things that you're just too close to it to see at the moment.

Let it rest for as long as you can bear to!

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

The idea with letting it rest for a while (the longer, the better) is that you want to get the book out of your mind completely. Work on other stories, do your other hobbies, etc. Just get the book out of your head.

When you finally return to it, you will still know what it's about and all that, but you will also see things you've never seen before. Errors, plot holes, you name it.

You may not have read through the first 75% for a long time as you have worked on the ending, but you have still had the book in your head this whole time. You need to reboot your brain, to clear it, so you can open your eyes anew. :)

4. Niklas

Niklas New Member

I think I would have it rest for a year actully. I understand the process, I really do. What about the idea of my 5 other readers? They havent even red the material? What if I let them read it now while I am resting? Bad idea or a good idea? The downside, I think, is that I may not hand them the script I would like to cause of the lack of letting the script rest. I know I seem childish but to let the script rest for a long time is something I would like to avoid. I also prepeard the outline for a year and did a plotrewrite for three weeks. But even so your suggestions might be the way to go? Thax for your answers.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Pro getting it Beta-read whilst letting it rest: You'll get their feedback in time for you to pick it up again and edit it.
    Con: You'll get their feedback in time for you to pick it up again and edit it.

1/ When you edit it, you'll probably see so many things that you now realise don't work, so you'll change it so much that you'll want to get it Beta-read again. Your B-Rs may not be so willing to reread a second draft, especially if your first draft was bad enough to put them off.
    2/ Your B-Rs may make some wonderful suggestions about how to improve it that you feel obliged to put in, even though they are at odds with your artistic vision.
    3/ If your first draft has some basic flaws in, e.g. formatting or grammar, they may focus on the minutiae rather than looking at the overall concept, the "would I pay to see this".

6. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Do you have anything to lose by letting it rest for a few months? I honestly feel like letting a story rest for a while is the best thing I can do as a writer. You do go blind to your story's faults when you work incessantly on it for a long period of time. And I wouldn't let anyone proof read it until you have let it rest and gone through it again, because I assure you, you will find faults.

Tesoro and Komposten like this.
  7. Niklas

Niklas New Member

No I dont got anything to loose put patience but tahat aside, no. But I need a year to forget my story. I dont see how one can foget a story which one been working on for two tears, under a couple of months. I cant give the script a years rest though. I have decided a month. That seem to be a common answer for many writers. Then my forst readers will give their point and I hope it is not that bad. I will change an reread and send to publisher. In Sweden, when I serach for this matter, people let their script rest a week. To me thats is no rest at all. I will occupy me with lots of other things and try forget about the script. The first 75% is written 5 months for now so that is kind of ok even if I used those section in building of climax which I wrote recently.
    If the script gets taken I will have lots of time to rewrite and rest. Ive learned from a woman here in Sweden who just got her novel out that iut took 1,5 years from first draft till the publisher got it out and they remark on everything so I guess there is no point of overdo things. I know I have a good language cause Ive been reading the first chapters to many people. I also have been published and won a prize for best blogger in matter of "how to use the lanugage". I might think to much of my self here but may be one need to that sometimes.
    Many thanx for your answers thogh. It got me thiniking and that is always good. Have a nice weekend. Love from Sweden.