1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Traditional Switching from Self to Traditional Publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ToeKneeBlack, Mar 12, 2016.

I've written two stories around 60k each, and at first I wasn't very confident that they would be enjoyed. As a result of this fear, I chose to self publish.

However, one of my fans is an English teacher and she tells me both books are quite enjoyable. With this in mind I feel I'm doing something right, so I'm considering looking for an agent. Because of this, I have two questions:

1. Would it be worth submitting something to an agent which I have already self published, or should I hold on until I have written something new?

2. Please may you recommend an agent if you know a good one? I understand there are a wide range of agents, some busier than others and some with better links to bigger publishers than others.

My preferred genre is science fiction with a target audience of ages 12 and up.

2. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Write another book. Do not self pub. Send that out to agents. Be sure to list your successes in your cover letter, including your first two books which have sold XXX volumes.

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree with Mike's advice, but only if your first books have sold significant numbers through self-publishing - like, more than a few thousand copies. Otherwise, I wouldn't mention them--just start fresh.

Mike Kobernus likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

www.querytracker.net and a subscription to Publisher's Marketplace are the best tools for finding a good agent, in my experience. Use QT to find agents who represent your genre and are open to queries. Check their websites to make sure QT is accurate (usually is, but not foolproof). Once you have a list, use PM to make sure they have sales to the big five in sci-fi.

Don't rely on recommendations. It's a rare client that's going to say "my agent is crap".

5. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Member

Also, it's rare that the first agent you talk to will pick you up. You don't hire an agent, you apply to an agent. I used querytracker, as tenderiser indicated, and got an agent on my second book. First was self-pubbed.

It is highly unusual for an agent or publisher to be the least bit interested in an already-published book. Generally it only happens with something like The Martian which is selling so well that it's worth picking up.

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Yeah, it's a very weird power balance between agents and writers. It's incredibly difficult to find one who'll agree to take your 15%. :D

7. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Thanks everyone, I'll keep writing and check out querytracker.