1. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Strongest/Weakest

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by yagr, Aug 18, 2014.

What would you say is your strongest and weakest aspects of writing?

I believe that I am quite good at what I have heard referred to as a 'blackout line' - the last line of a chapter that gets the reader to want to turn the page.

I believe I am weakest in writing dynamics...which is about clear as mud, eh? I believe that I am a very good storyteller... far beyond my skill as a writer. I can spin stories that can keep a kid captivated for hours and never look at his or her cell phone the entire time. Putting such a story on paper requires things like a knowledge of grammar, sentence structure, etc., that I know is a tremendous weakness.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Strong - bringing an equally funky style to my funky stories. Word choices, slanting to give a tone.

Weakest - grammar, trying to make proper decisions on some of my funkier sentences. Smoothing things out. Getting beyond the fun stuff and bringing a depth to the characters. I'm a very secretive, private sort of person, and because I tend to be closed off only allowing people to see what I allow them to - I tend to dis-allow my characters the same depth.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    yagr likes this.
  3. Dallionz

Dallionz Member

I believe I'm strongest in my writing as far as helping the book flow from description to dialogue, etc.

My weak point is definitely story lines, though. I really struggle and always worry they aren't interesting enough!

yagr likes this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Hi @peachalulu...I eventually delete 'funky' sentences - which always improves the reader's experience - rather than mine, as I do have the tendency to doodle away, writing the same point in 6 different ways, so pretty, but they must all die.

Therefore my weakness is dense indulgence - when a reader deserves a smooth ride on their pillow. So I aim for that, playing sometimes the game, whilst drafting, where you try to speed read your own prose like a paperback.

peachalulu and yagr like this.
  5. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Strength - coming up with a neverending series of idea's, embellishments and practical workings for storyline and milieu. Streaming words out on a page at speed and overcoming block.
    Weakness - Seeing how much work those thought streams really need in order to become a proper story. They make sense to me in their raw form, but I have trouble seeing how much refinement is necessary to get the story across to a reader.

peachalulu, matwoolf and yagr like this.
  6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Strongest is probably my attention to language. I sometimes spend days on one passage just to make sure I get everything right. Weakest is endings. I usually have no idea how to end a story, so I come up with some lame ending that sucks.

7. Zelg

Zelg New Member

Strongerst: posibly character's dialogue and backstories. Worldbuilding too.

Weakest: grammar, descriptions and changes of scene.

yagr likes this.
  8. Artist369

Artist369 Active Member

I'm good at dialogue. Conversations that deliver back-story and reveal character whilst staying witty, fresh, and believable.

Weakest- coming up with fresh ways to convey emotion without resorting to gestures the involve the eyes or throat.

yagr likes this.
  9. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Strength: effectively using language and structuring a narrative

Weakness: coming up with events to drive a plot forward

yagr likes this.
  10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I have no idea. I guess I'm ok at creating engaging characters, but I've never felt confident or capable of handling plot.

yagr likes this.
  11. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

Strength - Structure. I have a screenwriting background, so I can beat out a story without much difficulty. I also like to believe I am rather adept at working internal and external conflicts into a story in an organic way through meaningful story goals.

Weakness - I tend to move fast. I need to learn how to slow down and let some moments "breathe". I also stress about prose and whether or not I'm giving too much internal information.

12. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Strongest: Beginnings and endings.

Weakest: Middles.

peachalulu, Simpson17866 and yagr like this.
  13. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

Strengths: I've been writing seriously for 18 months. I have none right now. Other than the desire to better myself.

Weaknesses: Seemingly everything. Mostly grammar, prose, and dialogue.

yagr and matwoolf like this.
  14. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Strengths: Character distinction. I'm told I do a good job of giving different characters recognizably different voices, and I feel like I do a good job of giving each character multiple, conflicting opinions about the different aspects of each other character.

Weaknesses: Sentence repetition. Once I come up with a sentence to cover a story element, I tend to use different words to re-flavor the same sentence over and over, and it takes extra effort to make myself come up with completely different sentences.

That too ;) Beginnings and Endings only need to be connected to the Middle, but the Middle has to be connected to both.

yagr likes this.
  15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Strengths: I'm good at creating characters and I have a good prose style (I've even been told so by professional editors).

Weaknesses: Plotting. I don't much care about plotting and I never work hard enough at it. I'm also lousy at handling climaxes. Sometimes my climaxes - the pivotal moments of the stories - go by in a couple of lines. I'm always expanding my climaxes when I revise my stuff.

yagr and peachalulu like this.
  16. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

If it helps, I have the same problem with one of my favorite authors (Kay Hooper). Doesn't mean she's not still one of my favorites ;) EDIT: and largely because she shares what you credit as one of your strengths.

… You're not secretly her, are you?

17. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I hope not - I've never heard of her. So if I was her, I would never have heard of me, and that would probably be rather difficult. :p

18. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

Strengths: I have a lot of stories to tell and I take unique viewpoints.
    Weaknesses: Grammar and building a mood. I'm still working on making my readers live my story instead of listening to it.

yagr likes this.
  19. Pulsaren

Pulsaren New Member

Strengths: I am good at writing dialogue that comes to life, to write a tour de force dialogue is the thing I like most. I have a feeling for poetry, altough I could be much better.

Weakness: Plotting, I find it hard. And knowing when to speed up and slow down, sometimes i miss to much environment because I am so up in the story.

yagr likes this.
  20. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I think I'm good at coming up with lots of little things that fall into place with scary precision at the right moments.

Bad things? Probably everything else! And I'm impatient!

yagr likes this.
  21. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Strongest: Dialogue. I can easily write conversation scenes and describe how the character reacts/moves around as it progresses.

Weakest: World Building and Setting. Most of the time the characters are arguing in a fog because I have no idea how to describe the setting beforehand. Sometimes they'll touch an object or two, but that's about it. :/

yagr likes this.
  22. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Strength: plotting, thinking how things logically would progress.

Weakness: clunky sentences. I'm working on this.

yagr likes this.