1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Contributing Member Contributor

Toe knee's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by ToeKneeBlack, Aug 21, 2015.

Hi everyone,

I started writing a while ago, but I thought the sooner I started a progress journal, the more I can share.

While writing my second book, I'm still adding my first one to various sales channels; my current contract with KDP Select runs out about a month from now, so I'll be branching out to Nook and Kobo soon.

Some might ask why I don't sign up with an agent and look for a traditional publisher; the answer is my lack of confidence. Yes, some of my friends and family have read my first book, and they have lots of nice things to say, but they're not the ones holding an axe over my morale. Professionals and experts can and will pick holes in my writing style, so I'm hoping to build a following on my own if I can, even if it takes years; by then I should have a few books out, so I will have had more practice.

Back to the topic at hand, I've outlined the plot for the second book and started work on a complete first draft. The prologue and first chapter are almost complete, which I estimate contribute 6% to the full length of the narrative overall.

My main issue is finding time to write, though I reckon many of us here lead busy lives. Between work and family, I have little more than three hours a week to dedicate to writing. This should improve as my children become more independent.

2. ToeKneeBlack

I was just looking through my sales channels, and noticed a used copy of Stormbringer: Legend of the 23rd Century on sale for $71 (plus shipping)!

Considering I haven't sold any paperback copies online (according to my publisher) and the book is still in print, I'm wondering who would consider such an outrageous mark-up on the $8.99 RRP. Still, I'm flattered that they think my work is worth that much, I probably won't see a penny from the sale - assuming someone decides to buy it at that price.

3. ToeKneeBlack

Well, my KDP exclusivity expired today, so I've expanded my sales range to Nook and Kobo.

Actually, the Kobo edition went without a hitch. The Nook site keeps giving me an error each time I try to use their "Put On Sale" button.

Still, it's a milestone.

(UPDATE!) I got the Nook site to work - it turns out it won't publish if the release date is in the future. This isn't explained in the generic error message, but I noticed it after digging around the project details and now it's fixed. Yay!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  4. ToeKneeBlack

I've written about 10% of Teslageist: Amber Wasp, but we've also reached an important milestone -
    Stormbringer: Legend of the 23rd Century has sold a copy of the paperback edition online!

The bad news is, I only got $0.01 from the sale, but it's out there somewhere...

5. ToeKneeBlack

I've completed 4 of about 30 chapters in the first Draft for "Teslageist: Amber Wasp".

What was chapter 4 in the plan was very short, as was chapter 5, so the two have been merged.
    A section which was due to appear in chapter 6 has been expanded upon, so it will take up all of the new chapter 5.

6. ToeKneeBlack

I guess it's not a spoiler if nobody's reading it, but I just finished writing a transformation sequence involving a wheelchair which turns into a go-kart.

It's a pity Steel already had a wheelchair bound heroine who kicks more butt than the title hero, otherwise I'd be doing something new. Given that few people ever saw Steel, I doubt I'll be called a copycat.

Anyway, on with the rest of Chapter 5; Delta's got a race to win.

7. ToeKneeBlack

I've finally finished the first draft of Chapter 5, so now it's time for my protagonists to meet for the first time!

How will they react to each other? I can't wait to find out.

8. ToeKneeBlack

Chapter 6 is now drafted. Boris and Delta have met, albeit briefly.

9. ToeKneeBlack

Chapters 7 and 8 have been merged - 8 was going to be too short and had to be moved in front of 7 because of the events of 6.
    Instead, I'll be writing an extra scene for chapter 8.

10. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Hey you. I'm just here to cheer you on.

:cheerleader:

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  11. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributing Member Contributor

Reading back through your entries, there is a lot of work and progress going on. Congratulations.

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  12. ToeKneeBlack

Thanks, everyone :) I've been making time to write, though I feel I'm rushing through it.

At least with my thoughts in a word document, I won't be able to forget them as easily and I can go back and tidy them up later.

13. ToeKneeBlack

I'm very close to having 25% of the first draft finished. Chapter 9 might come out short, as I'm struggling to make it fit 2 pages, and I'd like a minimum of 4 pages to a chapter.

I might have to come back to it later and get on with Chapter 10.

14. ToeKneeBlack

I've had loads of time today, and I've completed Chapter 10, which means the first draft is about 1/3 complete!

15. Imaginarily

Imaginarily Disparu en Mer Contributor

Yay! :cheerleader:

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  16. Cappy and Pegody

Cappy and Pegody Member

Sounds like you are doing great hang in there. We sugest you look into smashwords its an easy to get your book on all esights except amazon and thats not hard once you have a manuscript formatted. Good luck and keep on with the good work.

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  17. ToeKneeBlack

I'll definitely look into Smashwords. The first book in the series out on Kindle, Kobo and Nook, so I'll try to expand further this week.

18. ToeKneeBlack

I've just signed up with Smashwords, and there's a 107 page style guide!
    Normally I'm a very patient man, but most other platforms have a handful of bullet-points detailing the do's and don'ts for formatting.

This is going to take longer than I thought...

19. ToeKneeBlack

After a lot of resubmissions to SmashWords, I've finally gotten "Stormbringer: Legend of the 23rd Century" added to their Premium Distribution service. I can't say I agree with some of their formatting guidelines, but if it can add it to a dozen more outlets than the four I'm signed up to at the moment, that can only be good news.

As for chapter 11 of "Teslageist: Amber Wasp", it's on its way. It's just really long.

20. ToeKneeBlack

Chapter 11 is now drafted! Onwards to Chapter 12, where the new gang of enemies have two new recruits, and our heroes are down three people.

Imaginarily likes this.
  21. ToeKneeBlack

While I haven't made much progress over the last few days, I've come to a realisation; the reason why my first book took 8 years to write was because I had no fans. Nobody displayed any confidence in my ideas until the year leading up to the release of Stormbringer: Legend of the 23rd Century.

Since releasing the first book, I now have a modest following, and I'm feeling more confident that I can reach more readers with a new release. One fan in particular is driving my motivation to write, and she's showing more confidence in the story than my wife is.

I'm just a bit worried that my biggest fan might eventually feel like I should leave my wife for her, but I pray that the day never comes. If it does, my whole world will collapse. The best I can do right now is not to worry about it, as it will only slow down the writing process.

22. Ippo

Ippo Member

A lot of stuff being done:
    It's cool to see how eagerly you keep pushing on. Definitely motivational so keep up the journal!
    So tell me, did someone buy that 71$ copy of your book?

ToeKneeBlack likes this.
  23. ToeKneeBlack

I'm glad you like my progress. I can't find the Amazon listing any more, so I'm not really sure if it sold or if it was taken down for being outrageously overpriced.

As a token of my thanks for your support, I'd like to offer you a preview of my current work in progress if you're interested. It's about a boy called Boris, who's alter-ego is the "Teslageist" (magnetic ghost). While searching for his missing father, he comes across a team of brightly coloured, over-sized insectoid creatures who call themselves the "Arthropod Squad". Can he save his father, determine the Squad's intentions AND get home in time for Christmas?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  24. ToeKneeBlack

So, quite a few months ago, I finished writing the plot outline for Book 2. The problem is, I wrote some of the chapters using only the chapter titles to jog my memory. When going back over the plot, I've realised that the identities of the new villains are revealed about 3 chapters early, stripping away some of the much needed mystery and replacing it with conflict.

The action reads well, but I'm compelled to go back over the last 3 chapters and make major changes before comparing the two versions. Let's see how this goes...

25. ToeKneeBlack

We're back on track, the villain's identity is still hidden and the new allies don't fully trust their leader.
    Ah, sweet, sweet tension. Now to get on with chapter 14.