1. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Too many ideas, and a perfectionist

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ShalaylaW, Sep 28, 2015.

So I'm terrible for constantly being able to think of pretty cool story ideas, and most times I'll start another, then another and soon I'll just combine them somehow or discard one (or all...) I just can't seem to ever stick to one idea without seeing some kind of 'flaw', getting bored of it or just plainly thinking of a better idea. Is there any advice someone could give me on how to find the will to persevere one idea without getting so sidetracked by more appealing ideas?

2. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

To paraphrase something another member of the forum said on another post might help you get over the boredom hump:
    "Think of the worst thing that can happen to your character, and write that."

Keep it fresh that way and keep yourself interested. Alternatively you can learn some discipline, the hardest thing next to common sense there is to learn (I'm still learning).

Nicoel likes this.
  3. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributing Member Contributor

Like dieting or working out. I don't think there is a quick fix to this.

Like anything. There is sort of three stages.
    1. The fun moment when you begin. Excitement passion!
    2. The vegetables! The yucky work! Hard, time consuming. Eek!
    3. Satifaction of making it past step two and having a final product(even if it is just a first draft.)

Abandoning a story because for what ever reason you don't like the prospect of reaching 3 is fine. We have all had moments where he discard an idea. But if you find you are never reaching 3. You may need to step up your determination to reach 3. As maybe it isn't that the plot lines are bad but that you just aren't determined enough. There may be tips for keeping it more interesting but at the end of the day. You just might need to step up your determination. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

4. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I have this exact problem. I've gotten pretty good at reining in my attention span, but there was a time when I had so many ideas in the air I had to draw up a schedule, assigning time slots for each project. Monday, superhero comic. Tuesday, sci-fi novel. And so on.
    Try listing out all the ideas you have, and devoted some time to exploring each idea. Sometimes, you might combine notions, or reach the conclusion that an idea isn't worth pursuing.
    It may even be worth your while to partner with someone who can keep you to a schedule.

5. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Thank you for the advice :) I really do think discipline is my flaw, for I want to create everything I think of and therefore become over burdened and overwhelmed.

6. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

your advice is appreciated :) scheduling is not an appealing idea to me AT ALL, but perhaps I need try new things haha

7. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Yeah, I've never finished a story in my entire life, stage 3 is something I NEED to get to, want to more than anything. And no, it's not harsh :) I appreciate the honesty.

8. GuardianWynn

As someone that has gotten to 3. In the sense of first drafts I can give some advice.

Think of an nice ending. Because then you are working towards that ending. You want to write the ending but you need to write everything else first. As a way to help motivate.

Also I keep finding regardless of how much I plan. When I actually write. I discover things, whether it be character aspects or scene ideas or other things that pop up. Like right now. My current story.

I off the top of my head created this chrismatic laywer. She is fun but she didn't come from thinking. I needed to pace out a scene with the MC. So I created someone for her to interact with. Those are some of my favorite ideas. :)

In the end though like I said. There is no quick fix. It is just about picking something and staying on it. Determination. You can do it. :D

9. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

I wasn't a fan of the schedule, either, but something rigid and regimented forced me focus on one project at a time.
    It's hard work, training your brain not to stray, but it's worth it.

10. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Thinking of the ending does help :) But it's not the good ending that makes me motivated. It's the achingly sad, sacrificial ending that makes me want to finish it, to show the meaning behind all of what's happened.
    And I agree, I'm not a planner, I love to start randomly writing on impulse and it's then that I come up with the most meaningful material.
    I'll give you a few examples of my story ideas, just to show they're not fleeting, flimsy ideas:

Current: The Forest that completely overruns a planet named Lemuria gives every living organism connection to it. The Forest is everything to them, it educates, gives them special abilities and their entire society is built upon it. But some children are born 'out of the loop' and are therefore useless. They are sent to an institution called the Braeken to live out their lives. One girl named Kyra has trained her entire life to have physical prowess if she can't have mental abilities. But outside their world, an alien race known as the Groudora plan war in order to steal the power of the Forest, for they could shape their own reality if they had it. Even a small amount would let them control certain aspects of Lemuria.

Jack of All Trades: A twisted version of a young Jack the Ripper that is experimented upon by his father to be able to master anything, and adapt to any feat he puts his mind to. As a child, he tries to control his actions to only serve a good purpose, and is shown love, but that love is snatched away and he decides to become his father's monster.

Mindscape (What caused me to think of Lemuria): A system for Death has been created, it catches you when you die and places you in a coma like state. Your brain is placed in a constant loop, letting you experience a life you've always wanted for a short amount of time before you die. But a young girl named Marva has been living inside her mind for seventeen years, since she died as a baby, and it's the only life she's ever known.

11. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

12. GuardianWynn

I am glad if any of my advice helped. Like I said. I don't doubt your premises. :)

I picture this like running. As in running for exercise. You can do things that help. Schedule times, or buy a music player. Maybe buy better shoes or a confortable outfit. The point is. At the end of the day, you still have to run. And running takes determination. And determination takes practice. Its sort of beautiful and horrible. Beautiful because the answer is easy. Horrible because while knowing the answer may be easier doesn't make running an easy task. If that makes sense?

13. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

It does make sense haha I'm not a jogger though, more of a sprinter :D Could explain my enthusiastic beginnings and dragging-my butt-middles

ManOrAstroMan and GuardianWynn like this.