1. Titan Of Kystolni

Titan Of Kystolni New Member

Too many ideas

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Titan Of Kystolni, Jun 2, 2016.

I'm new to writing, and I have so many ideas running around in my head at the same time. I haven't even finished a tenth of my first story with these characters, but I've got 3 more storylines complete with reasons, details and scenes running through my head. Any advice about how to deal with all of it?

2. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Contributing Member Contributor

Buy a Moleskine notebook. And a fucking typewriter.

Write stuff down in that notebook. I have bits and pieces I wrote nearly a year ago that I still come back eventually because it's good enough to keep.

3. JennaPeterson88

JennaPeterson88 Member

Write down your other ideas so you can get them down and not lose them, but then go write back to what you're currently writing. The advice I've heard from so many published authors is make sure you finish your first novel, even if you hate it by the end. Even if you convert it to a novella to make it shorter. Even if you never submit it. Practise finishing.

4. izzybot

izzybot Human Disaster Contributor

Yep. Write it down. I have - lemme see now - about fifteen ideas for novels/series/novellas written down, and about fourteen other, less detailed concepts for stories/games that're boiled down to just a few sentences. I'm certainly not working on them all at once, but I don't want to lose them, so they're written down. Only about five projects are what I loosely consider 'in development', one of which is in the latter outlining stage and one's in the process of being written - the others are just things I'm worldbuilding and generally chewing on in my spare time until they're ready / I'm ready to get them into heavier development. You don't want to try to juggle thirty things all at once, but you put it on paper for later.

5. Senko

Senko Member

I donĀ“t know if anybody have heard about mental maps for writing. That could be as well another way to go. That is a rather graphical way to put things. But I can tell you that I have not actually used that method.
    Maybe some day I will try.

6. Buttered Toast

Buttered Toast Active Member

I write all my ideas down even if it's not for my current book,.
    I go everywhere with my note pad, I even sometimes write stuff on receipts when I'm out without my note book lol
    I also write my first draft out by hand, I find it faster so maybe you can write a quick draft for each of your stories, I re-wrote the drafts into the 'pages' app and update as an when ready for when I knuckle down and properly write them.
    Good luck

7. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

Which story line do you keep going back to, or which one do you think about the most? Quiet all the other "noises" and focus yourself on that one story. I get this too, too many ideas, but for me I cannot work on several things at once. Others seem to be able to but I can't. Writing for me is like being in a relationship, I have to devote myself completely to one relationship at a time and I cannot move on to #2 until #1 is finished. I tried starting #2 and all I do is think about my "ex". If i am constantly thinking about my "ex" i can't really devote myself to the new thing in my life, if that makes sense lol.

As some suggest you can write your other ideas down, but to make it easy on yourself dont write them down. Not every story idea is worth writing and sometimes its best to forget some so that you are not looking at a list of 20 different things. For me its best to allow myself to forget weak stories and remember only the ones that keep bugging me.