1. Posy

Posy New Member

Too many ideas!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Posy, Mar 5, 2009.

I've started writing this book, you see, but my problem is, I already started thinking of writing another book! :eek:
    So now, my inspiration is crushed on my other book, any way I can get out of this problem? :confused:

So basically, I'm asking if any one else has suffered this problem, and knows of any tips on how to get out of it. :redface:

2. Arrow

Arrow Member

If this helps: I have been muscling through with my novel for the past 18 months (for whatever reasons it's taking more time than I planned...anyway). I've had other story ideas come into my head that are not appropriate for this present work. I jot down these ideas from time to time, so I can pick them up down the road when time permits (or i'm so inspired). My tendency is to focus on a single project at a time, but plenty of people can multi-task. If you can then good for you. It seems a book would require serious attentiveness however.

3. Fictionfreak

Fictionfreak Member

I think all writers experience this problem. Especially when writing novels. I, myself have never fully completed a novel, the farthest I've ever gotten was a 12 page short story. So.. I'm kind of in the same boat.

But I do symphathize for you.

How deep are your characters? I've been finding that, when I know my character better, more opportunities are opened, and the more engaged I am with the story as a whole.

---
    Oh, and lay low on the smilies there cheif.:cool:

4. pacmansays

pacmansays Senior Member

What i try to do is focus on writing one and developing several others at the same time. I suffer from a similar problem and have come to the conclusion to split it up, trying to focus on one being written and then jotting down ideas for others.

If i actually complete a draft then i'll work on revising this one while writing one and brainstorming another.

Just sometime you have to throw away the occasional idea and perhaps incorporate parts of other ideas into the one you have now?

5. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor Contributing Member

Sometimes if I have another good idea for a novel, I work the second idea into the first for a MEGA-IDEA.

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

All the time I have this issue. While working on my current story, I'm always thinking about grand ideas for the next in the series.

How do I solve it? I tell myself that I'll never get ANYTHING done, including the next great idea, if I don't finish the current one first. You need to learn discipline. Nobody can magically grant it to you. Writing isn't about starting a bunch of things and flitting to the next when one idea grows too dull. Writing is hard work. You need to face that.

Do you want to be somebody who writes stories, or somebody who starts stories and never finishes them...? Ideas seem great only until you realize you're never going to do them justice and FINISH THEM. If your inspiration is so easily crushed, perhaps you're not that inspired to write after all? My inspiration never gets "crushed" when a new idea comes along; if anything, it just grows. You'll really have to learn to keep your inspiration flowing better than that if you're serious about writing.

Plus, I kind of like that I get new ideas while working on the current story. It gives me plenty of time to mull over how the next story will go before actually starting to write it, so I have a good general idea of how it will go once I finally start it and I don't stall out partway through. I don't even have to outline.

Maybe you just haven't mulled over your CURRENT story ideas well enough so you stall out early and get distracted? Whatever the case is, you need to learn discipline, and just finish things, if you want anything finished. There's no magical solution other than that.

7. iolair

iolair Active Member

I'm 100% in agreement with this. Develop and run with the ideas you've got (unless, as can occasionally happen, you really do decide you're flogging a dead horse). If you have some major ideas for the next book(s), write them down in a book or file, save them for later, and get on with the current project.

8. Speedy

Speedy Contributing Member Contributor

\M/

Agreed

9. samessex

samessex Member

I do the same as Arrow mentioned, keep a note book handy, or the back of the one im currently using and just jot the new ideas down. Then i can come back to them in the future if i still fancy the idea. i find nearly every day a new idea pops in my head, which 90% of the time isnt relevant to what im currently working on, so i just store it for later. :)

10. traffic101

traffic101 Member

I totally feel your pain. It takes determination to stick to a story when you have other ideas in your head. I write down my new idea, and than continue with writing my story. That way once I am done, I can come back to that idea and expand.

But really, I only finish my stories and novels by sheer will power. Near the end I am sick of it...but when I finish I am happy that I stuck with it.

11. Posy

Posy New Member

So basically, just write down that other idea in my head, and try to stick with the first one?

12. Forgetmenot77

Forgetmenot77 Senior Member

I DIVIDE BY ZERO, CREATE AND DESTROY ENERGY, FOUND THE LAST DIGIT OF PIE, FIND BIGGER NUMBERS THAN INFINITY, KILLED MY PAST SELF, DRAW ROUND SQUARES, AM A MARRIED BACHELOR AND DRAW FIVE SIDED TRIANGLES!-LOL...I like that! Sorry, off topic but I also am having the same problem so I wrote out a rough draft of what I think would be a good short story and I am going to save it for later but yea... I like to stay focused on the main story I am working on now. I am a one thing at a time person too.

13. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 Contributing Member

I think that it is ok wo write what you have. Sometimes you may want to work on one story and not the other. Nothing wrong with that. I would rather work towards completing another work when I have lost inspiration on one then just sit around and do nothing.

I hope that makes sense. Plus I am sure that would keep your stories on your mind.

14. pacmansays

pacmansays Senior Member

Haha thanks. I'm trying to create an ego by forming the appearance of one.

15. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

I had two on the go at once for a time but the first drafts were nearly complete by then. When I ran dry on one, I changed over to the other even if it was just editing and it gave my mind a break.

16. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributing Member Contributor

I keep a writing journal where I write down any story ideas I have while working on another project. Then, if I REALLY can't get an idea I've had after starting to write something, I take a little bit of time to write down a scene or two that I have in my head for the new idea before going back to the old one. That way I'm not constantly being distracted by the new idea, so I can continue to focus on what I've already been working on.

17. diabolic321

diabolic321 New Member

Yeah, I'm getting ideas every other week... Fortunately, it's actually possible to mix 3 of the last ones, which is kind of nice and interesting :)

Could you possibly enchance your current story with these new ideas?

18. pacmansays

pacmansays Senior Member

Damn, this just happened...however, luckily the new idea is shorter and the plots pretty formed.

Will try to balance both....problem is right at the moment i'm more interested in new idea which makes thinking ideas for old one harder

19. Rabid Fox

Rabid Fox Member

I used to experience a similar problem. Then, I started a writing journal. It's the easiest way to get those initial brainstorms out of the way, so you can continue to work on the project already on the go. Presently, I've compiled all of those little "what if" scenarios, character sketches, and other prompts into one database on my computer. It's funny to look back on many of them and wonder, "At what point did I think this would make a good story?"

20. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributing Member Contributor

I know what you mean! I have boxes of old writing ideas and short stories that I've been putting on my laptop, and I can't even believe that I wrote some of them...even if you decide later that your idea isn't so great, though, it's really helpful to get it out on paper (or a computer) when you first come up with it. :)

21. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

I've had this problem the last few months. Fall in love with this idea, trash it for the next, and so on. I seem to write better when I become emotionally immersed into the story/characters. I don't know if that would work with you, but I'd say that its worth giving a shot.

22. Chime Elf

Chime Elf New Member

This has been my main problem, too.

What I've found, and been told, is that you need to learn discipline and strengthen your willpower.
    Take down notes of your new story ideas, but don't go into detail.
    It helps to have a writing buddy, and a timeline in which to complete a certain number of words or a segment of writing. So, find a friend who is eager to write, then set a time limit, like a week, for you both to write, say, 10 000 words, and then exchange stories and critique the other person's story. This will ensure that you pursue your current work, and not get sidetracked, because you have a deadline pushing you forward.

Would this work for you?