1. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick Contributing Member

Too many in a row?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by funkybassmannick, Mar 22, 2012.

I'm currently analyzing my ms in preparation for a re-write, and I have noticed that, while my overall ms has a lot of variation in scenes, I find a couple sections where I have two dialogue scenes or two action scenes in a row. Is this a problem?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I worried about that with Mayhem, but nobody has complained about it when they've read it. I don't think it matters as long as the scenes themselves are well paced.

3. Jowettc

Jowettc Contributing Member

Not Sure - depends. Have you posted an excerpt somewhere for a critique, then we might get a better idea, but as El says if you submit it and the publisher / agent mentions it then you can edit. If they don't - no problem.

4. funkybassmannick

Elgaisma- Making sure my scenes are well constructed is my main goal, so maybe you're right and it won't seem too bad once I fix the scenes themselves

Jowettc- I have only put one scene on here, and I'm concerned if I post too many it will affect its publishablity. But you have a point that getting my writing circle to read my scenes in sequence.

Thanks!

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

As long as the reader can catch their breath at some point don't worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

Yes, it depends.... but usually I might be able to tolerate two dialogue scenes, but two action scenes in a row can be tiresome. You are the final judge, so if you don't like it remove it!

7. funkybassmannick

Good point. Yeah, I tend to have more contemplative scenes after too much action or dialogue.

Killbill - You're absolutely right, the action/action might be too much like the second half of Transformers 3 (Although, hopefully not that bad; I fell asleep for 15 minutes and didn't miss a thing!) I am trying to vary up the feel of the scene, so even though it's action it doesn't feel like the same action two scenes in a row.

8. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

Make them different, with a different tone or a different person, to separate them; or else make it really the same scene with a very, very short break. We don't want to be confused how you get from one to the other. I'm guessing it's probably fine.