1. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal New Member

Too Many Things

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Original Oatmeal, Jan 30, 2013.

How often are you told you want too many things in your life? People ever tell you that your dreams are too big? How many times do others say that you cannot fulfill your destiny? How many times do people want to put you in a box? The famous artist musician Pink Floyd will tell you are not just "Another Brick On The Wall."

Somebody is telling me that I want too many things. That I do not know what I want in life in general. That I need to start putting my desires into action. That I rely on the thoughts and generosity of other people.

These words are coming from somebody who relies more on the traditions of others than I do. I have always known the things that I have wanted in life since I was a very young tadpole Nintendo boy in the ghetto of Forest Grove of Oregon of the United States of northern America.

I have wanted to travel the world and help others since I was eight years old or eight years young and I have had and do in fact put to action all of my ideas. Started acting and filming and directing and producing and editing and making movies and writing and drawing and making things since I was around the age of ten years old/young. My life is full of so many things because I want so many things.

I do not want too many things in life.

That is a pure lie that is very popular in every country of this globe. I have seen these kind of people many times. When I was around six years old, I ran into doctors and scientists and teachers who told me the same exact things with their closed minded perspective. They told me that I wanted too many things as well after I took this state test, since I was a homeschooler and Obama wanted to make sure that I was learning things at home school or he was going to sick his Dog Hitler on me and make me go to public school.

The results of my test said I was below a kindergarten level. This means I was about as smart as a three or four year old when I was about six or seven years old. They told my mother that they did not see a future in my horizon, that I would never ever pass the sixth grade, that I was clearly retarded, as in mentally challenged with bulky teeth and Clark Kent glasses. They looked at the pattern of my intelligence and decided to walk away thinking that I want too many things, that I cannot handle the things that I want.

Too often in life, we run into people that do not understand how the world really works. People are not always going to truly understand you enough. That is where I am right now and I feel kind of heart broken right now. I am not asking for a hug but I am trying to warn you about these bruises that occur on the journey through life.

People are not always going to support you.

Some people are kind of like my older sister in a bad. Some people think that we have to be able to explain fully what we want in order to make those things acceptable. Too often people think that if you can describe the plan then you do not have a plan. People throw this logic mostly at kids, which is very unfair to children.

I do not support people that think that there are ceilings to dreams. If somebody told you that you wanted too many things then that person is telling you that you need to cut out your heart and hope to die.

It is so sad that the very people that tell you to stop letting others think for you are actually the ones that are in fact letting others think for them.

They tell me to be independant.

There is no such thing as independance because we all rely on Christ who created and died for us. If we trust that Christ paid for our crimes against humanity, then we can be set free from the penalty. That is where we are. We rely on each other and we ultimately rely on Christ who is my Savior.

With Original Oatmeal in my delicious boul, is Jesus in your soul?

I am always told to stop letting people help me. No. That is bad. Why would I hinder people from their gifts and talents in life? Some people have the gift of hospitality and generosity. Some people enjoy helping other people. When I prevent those people from performing those duties then I dwarf them from their true potential as humans.

Can you want too many things in life?

Yes, you can want too many things in life. That is why you should pray and think and talk about it. I have spent my whole life weeding through my wants and needs in life. I am always pulling out things that I should not want and readjusting my bucket list.

You never know what is inside the hearts of others.

She asked me if I knew anything about philosophy and I kind of said that I did not know anything about philosophy. I have not really read books about philosophy. I have not really read books about anything really, apart from the Bible. I have not even read every inch of the Bible either. She asked me to name some philosophers and I could not think of any. I told her that where these ancient men that I have heard of, but I am not sure if they were philosophers or not. People like Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Jesus, Shakespeare, and I am Spartan off a cliff.

I told her that I was a philosopher. She laughed at that idea. She said that I could not be a philosopher. What do you think? People think that I am a philosopher.

Too often, we grow to expect certain kinds of answers. She was expecting me to say certain things. She has been brain washed to think that the world has to be a certain way. My pastor was like that. I wanted to be baptized but because I was not able to explain to him what baptism means he thought I was not ready and then he baptized my younger four year old sister.

I feel kind of betrayed right now.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What, exactly, is the point of this and what does it have to do with writing?

Just asking.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since pres. obama has only been in office for 4 years, this makes you only 10 or 11 now... which makes me have to ignore your whole nonsensical diatribe as puerile tripe...

and no, i do not think you are a philosopher...

maia [a practicing philosopher of decades-long standing]

4. EdFromNY

Hmmm...missed that the first time through. Good catch, Maia.

Also, another indication to me that home schooling is a really bad idea. Not that I needed any more than I already have.

5. The Codex

The Codex Member

This is likely a joke of some sort?
    Others collected evidence that suggests you would be 10 years old, but even so... it may not be true. Your writing is impressively above your age level.
    Tell me, what would you ask of us to expect?

6. KalyQT

KalyQT New Member

As I respond to this post I have many conflicting feelings, but I'm going to do it anyway because I believe this poster is not what he says he is.

I did not want to divulge the fact that I homeschooled my two daughters only because homeschooling can be such a hotly debated issue but I felt it necessary so as to respond to this post. My daughters are grown now and it has been some time since I have been in the homeschooling community but when I read this post I found it oddly reminiscent of posts we would see on our HS forums. People who obviously were against the idea of homeschooling would post ridiculous things pretending to be homeschoolers to make them sound like complete idiots. There are a few things here that are very similar to the posts from back then:

The mention of President Obama's dog, Hitler. In the posts from back then it was President Clinton's dog, Hitler.

Pink Floyd's song 'Another Brick in the wall' mentioned here was also used often in the fake posts from back then.

The mention of the Bible being the only book having been read. Apparently, non-homeschoolers think homeschoolers are a bunch of Bible-thumping Christians, this could be the case somewhere I suppose but not in my experience. We had fifty families in our group and about half of them were Christians and half of those Christians were not heavily practicing ones (myself included)

I chose these specific three examples because they were the ones often seen together in the same post. There are a few other details in here but not seen as often.

Now, I could be totally wrong about this poster, and he could be what he says he is. I am really only meaning to share some of the information I had on known fake posts from years ago. Do with it what you'd like, I am truly not trying or wanting to spark any debates.

7. Cerebral

Cerebral Active Member

That's incredible...I would've assumed that these non-homeschoolers would be intelligent enough to not develop a pattern.

What a shame. I was going to congratulate this supposedly-young man (or woman) on at least attempting to use his brain independently, even though I disagree with much of what was said. And I would've also told him that his writing (and, to a lesser extent, his thought process) was pretty phenomenal for a 10 year old boy (or girl)...

I don't understand people...I really don't.

8. Tales of Anima

Tales of Anima Member

Given that the statistics favor homeschoolers academically nowadays, how is it a bad idea?

9. EdFromNY

Because schooling is not just about academics. It is about interacting with peers, learning (in a practical sense) about those from different backgrounds and with differing levels of ability. It's also about learning in conjunction with others, being exposed to ideas alien to one's own (and thereby learning how to decide for oneself). Homeschooling by definition is a screening device, whether with regard to ideas, concepts or people.

Besides, the data regarding the academic effectiveness of homeschooling do not take into account the natural ability and economic circumstances of homeschooled children. I remember, as a senior in high school, getting into a discussion with our band director about Julliard. "Julliard turns out excellent musicians," he said, "but they also only take in the most talented to begin with. It's not clear, then, how much value Julliard actually adds."

10. KalyQT

KalyQT New Member

Fortunately homeschooling has been changing for many, since the very early days. Since more and more people have been choosing to homeschool there have been many homeschool groups forming that include a diverse group of people such as the one my children and I belonged to that get together and do a variety of activities a couple times a week. Also, I have heard from some of the earlier homeschoolers that said it was more common a long time ago for homeschool families to go running in the opposite direction, so to speak, when encountering public schooled children...this fortunately is not the case amongst the majority anymore. My daughters, for one example, were involved with our local public school's drama department and performed many plays with them. Some public schools now even allow homeschoolers to participate with their sports activities.

The world of homeschooling has changed alot over the years from what it started to be, though I am sure there are some families that still practice the old ways. This is unfortunate for them...I do believe their children are missing out on some very good opportunities.

11. Traviud

Traviud New Member

This might be the worst sentence ever.

Thank God you're "only ten."

Since this truly bizarre thread has taken a bizarre turn into the realm of homeschooling, I might as well mention that I, too, was homeschooled until college. I have performed very well academically and am a matter of months from acquiring my BA, but it screwed my social skills profoundly for years. My parents left the choice of where I went to school fully up to me (I would recommend future parents not treat this decision as lightly as they did), so I took the easy way out, and would now label it a mistake. There were many programs available for homeschooled children in my area but I spent a few years off and on dealing with depression and never wanted to attend them.

I was more than prepared for college courses, but adjusting to the day to day grind took me a semester once I did go back. And sometimes I feel my adolescence was kind of a waste. In hindsight, my parents shouldn't have allowed me to make such poor decisions, but I did indeed make them, and should have adjusted as I grew old enough to understand what I needed. In sum, I think, if you are proactive with opening up your children to social interaction they can develop normally, and certainly their cognitive development shouldn't be stunted by a homeschooling curriculum. If you let the kids take control of it, however, the results can be detrimental.

FWIW, my parents' motivations for homeschooling me were at least partially of religious origin. Though, again, they wouldn't have stopped me if I wanted to do something else.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my opinion?

major troll alert!