1. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 Senior Member

Too much copying?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by FirstTimeNovelist91, Aug 23, 2012.

I have a story idea in mind about a serial killer. He is very much like Patrick Bateman in American Psycho (OCD, controlling, handsome, wealthy), but he also has a thing for BDSM. I only have one thousand words in, but I really like my idea. I don't want people to think I am copying, even though Patrick Bateman's character inspired me to write a story. My story is also in first person as well, but it will delve deeper into the sexual, power-hungry side of my character.

What are your thoughts? Is there anything you would change? Should I make my character poor and unattractive? What would you change?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Don't waste even a second worrying whether it has been done before. It has, and it hasn't. Every story has been told in one form or another, but every writer will interpret and render it uniquely.

So your question is meaningless, because everything - EVERYTHING - depends on what you do with the idea.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. DanesDarkLand

DanesDarkLand Senior Member

What Cogito said is correct. Vampires are a common story theme, and so are most of their powers, yet that is not copying when people write about those types of characters. It becomes copying when you try to emulate the events, the actions and reactions, and the overall themes. Werewolves, zombies, or other supernatural characters will always have common characteristics. Its how you write the story, not some characteristics of a main character.