1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Too Much Money Not Enough Sense

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 2, 2012.

I was just reading about how money plays a part in transofrming people lives.
    Is it for the worse or the better?
    Has the saying any element of truth in it?

I am more inclined to believe that people has already got it in them to either see sense or not before the Money rush.
    How would money affect you if you suddently became rich?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The actual saying is "Too many dollars and not enough sense." Like many popular aphorisms, it incorporates a pun that might be missed by a non-native speaker (sense vs. cents).

You post a lot of these threads. When choosing these topics, and to all those responding, please keep in mind that the rule here is to discuss, not to argue. This is NOT a debate site, and all these discussions must remain civil.

Although I am no longer an active moderator, I still receive the reported post notifications. Please respect one another without requiring someone to play the part of school hall monitor.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, i did once, in my old life 'suddenly [sort of] become rich' when i went from being a working single mom of 5 on welfare, to being married to a multi-millionaire... in that instance [for the next 12 years] it affected me only in re being able to provide a better life for my children and allowing me to be a stay-at-home mother... while it certainly changed how i lived, it didn't change my basic personality or how i felt and acted toward others...

since i gave up that life of semi-luxury [in 1982] and divorced him, i've lived several extremely different lives and for the past 16+ years have been homeless and possessionless by choice, wandering the globe being useful to others however and wherever i'm needed and seem 'meant' to be... so...

...if i now suddenly became rich' i'd not be affected in any way as far as how i'd feel or how i live, but would use the money only to make others' lives better in ways i can't afford to do now... i'd go back to living with the hopi [my 'soul-siblings'] on their desolate mesas in northern arizona and start a donation center and free books program for them like the one i started and ran for 6 years on the island of tinian... and if very rich, from that home base, would do the same for as many other needy peoples in the world my 'riches' would allow...

[if there's any good force out there in or beyond the universe, i hope you're reading this and will toss an appropriately large 'manna drop' in my lap!]

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

how do you mean mamma?bychoice?
    homeless means living either with others or in the streets right?
    [
    hehe....you never know who is listening:D

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I thought this was an American version of the one I posted...the one I posted appears in many articles like these
    http://thedailydish.wordpress.com/tag/too-much-money-not-enough-sense/
    and
    http://minorityrightsadvocate.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/too-much-money-not-enough-common-sense%E2%80%A6-how-does-this-happen/

I don't understand this.

6. LTC

LTC New Member

"Sense" and "cents" are homophones. "Sense" in this context references another name for currency mentioned earlier in the phrase(dollars) through its sound(which sounds like cents). Heh, I hope that helped.

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hey LTC that is great thank you.
    I am liking your signature a lot..haha..it made me laugh:D
    Not that I know who Zaphod is..it must a cartoon or something along these lines.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Zaphod Beeblebrox is a two-headed character from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe by Douglas Adams. It's a classic of comedic British science fiction.

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Oh yes of course ...that was a long time ago since I watched it and I do remember a two-headed character but obviously did not catch the name.
    Thank you for that.:)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

meaning i chose to give away my home and all my possessions willingly [on purpose], as opposed to the 'ordinary' homeless folks who lost them through bad luck, illness, tragedy, etc.

yes, that's what it means... i never lived on the street, though... for over 2 years, i lived in homeless shelters, helping to run them and doing what i could for the 'enforced' homeless there and then house/pet-sat [in the us, canada, france and italy] for years... i am now living in an apartment in bogota, colombia that is owned by my client's family, while i rewrite several screenplays for him...