1. nzric

nzric Active Member

Mixing & and 'and' in the same sentence

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by nzric, Jul 18, 2012.

Are there any grammar rules around the use of 'and' as well as '&' in the same sentence?

e.g.

- Marge asked Bart to wash his hands and come to the table, and to bring forks and knives.

- Marge asked Bart to wash his hands & come to the table, & to bring forks & knives.

- Marge asked Bart to wash his hands and come to the table, and to bring forks & knives.

etc.

I tend to use the last example, i.e. using 'and' as a sentence connector, while using '&' as a way to list things. But how about:

- Bart and Lisa were brother and sister and they walked to the shops to buy milk and eggs.

?

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I don't believe you want to use the ampersand unless it's part of some proper name containing the ampersand. The rest of your examples would be better off reworked.
    If you must have this sentence, probably change it to something like, Marge asked Bart to wash his hands, get the knives and forks, and bring them to the table.

The last sentence is awkward -- usually you wouldn't have that unrelated information in one sentence. If you had to, you could say something like, "Siblings Bart and Lisa went shopping for milk and eggs." But you probably wouldn't have to indicate the sibling relationship in that sentence. It would be established someplace else.

I think if you're running into a problem with too many "ands" you need to rework the sentence.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Liz beat me to it. The only time you should have an ampersand in a sentence is part of a trademark (real or fictional):

4. nzric

nzric Active Member

Thanks