Torn about word count

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Saralyn, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Saralyn

Saralyn New Member

I wouldn't mind writing novellas, but my story wouldn't fit into a short story. "Short story under 7,500 words". It's in the zombie genre if you would consider that one, or you could say Horror/Sci-Fi. I take the time to go into detail and make sure my characters are described properly. Many events do take place over time. I wouldn't just add anything to fluff my work up. I'd only add what I believe what would be necessary, interesting, added to story, and enhanced details. I was only intending I wouldn't turn 33k words into 7500 words. I've cut out pages and pages of useless writing. I feel like I have the option to write a series of novellas or combine them all into one book. I'm certain I would meet the word count if they were combined. I'm just unsure of what path to take.

Horror: 80,000 to 100,000
    Science-Fiction: 90,000 to 125,000

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Glancing back over the thread I don't think anyone actually advocated turning it into a short story, only that it could be published as a short novel / novella. I think that was a misunderstanding. I could also be missing something though.

Anyway, I think writing a series of novellas is a totally valid plan! I'd think long and hard about combining them because if you feel like you have a really strong ending, just tacking more story onto it could feel a bit weak and potentially not do your ending justice. You could separate them out into 'book one' and 'book two' within the same, yknow, metaphorical binding to make it a two-part novel of sorts, but that's really up to you and whether you'd rather have you work in more bite-sized or conglomerated packages. I think a novella series would be cool, but that's just personal opinion. You might try shopping it around in both forms once it's complete and see what happens.

TWErvin2 likes this.
  3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Life is too short not to. Unless you hate it that much or feel like it's not up to your usual quality.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Sometimes I think we forget that we (as writers/aspiring writers) are not defined by any single novel, novella, short story that we write.

Look, I care about all my stuff because they're mine and I put time into it, but I'm not going to trip over any single peice of writing.

It doesn't sound to me like novellas are the best place to start in terms of publishing. So you shelve it for later.

5. tanstaafl74

tanstaafl74 Member

A story is exactly as long as it needs to be. Adding filler to reach a number of words is OK to a point, but past that point it just dilutes the story. If your story is a novella it's a novella and no amount of padding is going to change that. I've read too many books that were stretched to their limits, but were obviously better off being novellas.

There's nothing wrong with this and it should never be considered a bad thing.

6. CJT

CJT Member

@izzybot - I agree with the idea of two books in one, but with metaphorical binding: Book One, Book Two - each of these can be totally separate books, in and of themselves, each with a specific end point to the story. I've read more than one book, where it has been split this way, and looking back, I feel certain that this is the reason, in more than a few of them, I'm sure.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Unfortunately, word count does matter to publishers. As I mentioned, novellas are tough to sell. If you truly feel that you can't turn your novella into a short story or perhaps even a novel, don't worry about publishing that piece now, and go work on something else.

jannert likes this.
  8. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

It is an interesting debate, And I was thinking, 'any story can be made longer, you just find another angle or sub plot' and then I remembered all those books that I gave up on because they were full of waffle, and this isn't just a lesson for first timers trying to make the publishing quota. Look at jk Rowling and the 4th Harry Potter book, there was no pressure to make it so long, publishers would publish it no matter the length. But we got something longer than the bible. Amen potter.

9. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

I think your story is as long as it is. You must be full of stories right? Polish that one up and then start on another one!