1. Remmington

Remmington New Member

Torn between three topics

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Remmington, Feb 12, 2012.

Well, after receiving a bunch of paper I decided I wanted to write a story. The problem is that I'm torn between three story ideas; a western outlaw story, a military based story, or a warrior cats alternate universe story. For the Military idea, it'd be kinda easy, considering that I have a 1990's IET Soldier's Guide [ Belonged to a friend of my mom's ], and the western outlaw idea would be a piece of cake, I know how to operate a single action revolver off the top of my head, though I've never done it and the Warrior Cats AU idea would be a piece of cake too, I've read the series.

But that's the problem, I'm so interested in each topic and I want to write about each of them but I doubt I could do so. Which would you guys pick? or think is more interesting.​

2. louis1

louis1 Member

I think you should do the western and millitary in the same story, do something original, like parallel stories at two different times, or something awesome like that, or don't. if not then i'd choose the western outlaw story. it just appeals to me more than the rest.

3. Remmington

Remmington New Member

If I were to mash together the western and military it'd be some kind of guerilla army, something like that. It'd definitely take place in the 1980's, considering that most of my favorite guns were made in the 1970's+.

If I were to write about a western military, what would its structure be?

4. ))BAPHOMET((

))BAPHOMET(( New Member

Call me stoopid, but a squad of warrior kitteh, with a kinda Western style to it. Lots of brass and mechanical antiquated bullshit. Do all of them.

5. ))BAPHOMET((

))BAPHOMET(( New Member

Like a story about an evil millitary regieme, and a band of rouges with their maverick leader pushed together to fight them off and save Cat land. One of them could be like a Catnip smuggler or summat.

6. Remmington

Remmington New Member

Damn o.o that's weird, but the cat-nip smuggler idea is definitely going into my mental journal ^^

7. ))BAPHOMET((

))BAPHOMET(( New Member

Wierd.... you started it.

They should have pet monkeys..

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You're the writer. Choose one. Set the other two aside to work on another time.

Writers make choices all the time. This is a good one to start with. No one else can make this decision for you.

9. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

I'd just like to point out that knowing about guns does NOT make writing a novel a piece of cake - that's just foolishness, or bravado, or both. It may make researching your story easier, but you still need characters, setting, a plot, and the ability to write in an engaging style. If you make it past 5 chapters, you're doing better than about 50% of people who start novels.

But writing a novel is NEVER 'a piece of cake'. Well, not writing a GOOD novel anway.

10. muscle979

muscle979 Member

Just to add on that don't settle for an IET Soldier's handbook from 1990 as THE reference you're going to use for writing a military story. Unless it's set in 1990 a lot of those things have changed. Not to mention there are dozens of military manuals and regulations out there on a variety of subjects. You can find a lot of this information on the internet.

11. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I think the answer is obvious. Clearly a 1990's military battle is taking place between the Americans and a bunch of warrior kittens from another universe. Naturally some sort of time rift opens up and an outlaw from old west arrives on the scene, gets caught up in the battle, sides with the kitties because they're cute and fluffy and the fun begins.

Cheers, Greg.

12. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Let me understand this. You can't make up your mind about a decision that, really, only you can make. But rather than push ahead and make it based on everything you know about the ideas (which is way more than any of us can know), you come on to a forum and ask a bunch of strangers who have no stake in whether you ever write a single word.

No idea is inherently any better or worse than any other idea. It all comes down to what you do with it. So, all three ideas are brilliant. Conversely, all three ideas are terrible. Your call.

13. RoseTHuman

RoseTHuman Member

Although I do agree with everyone else who's saying that it's all you when it comes to choosing a topic, I will say that I've had tremendous fun writing a western. I think that it can be challenging because it would be important to be wary of the dozens and dozens of cliches that other westerns contain, but if you ask me, creativity flourishes under limitations. I think that it's a generally fun and interesting topic that can help a writer learn to delve deep into a plot and character development.

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Amen to that! :)