1. TheDeep1985

TheDeep1985 New Member

Semicolon, colon, dash or comma?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by TheDeep1985, Jul 29, 2010.

Hello All,

I am unfortunately not the best at punctuation but I like to learn. Please help me!

Please advise me on which form of punctuation I should use in the following sentence:

"You have not thought this through, I drink whiskey."

This sentence is said to a man buying champagne for a women who likes scotch but the comma I have used does not seem to break the two statements up enough. What do you think

2. Chudz

Chudz New Member

I would suggest either a full-stop with a period, or a semi-colon since they seem to be independent clauses. But I believe you may also be able to pull this off with a colon as well, but I'm not comfortable enough with grammar rules to suggest that outright.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

The colon is gaining popularity as a replacement for a semi-colon (or period) linking two independent clauses. But it will come off as very contemporary and I doubt anyone around here will tolerate it, yet alone recommend it.

If you wanna play it safe, I'd go with a period.

4. TheDeep1985

TheDeep1985 New Member

Yeah, I wanted to use a colon but wasn't quite sure. I think I'll stick with that, it is supposed to sound pretty conversational.

Thanks

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Use a period. The semicolon is already highly overused in fiction. A semicolon, when used to separate independent clauses, is the indecisive compromise between a full stop and a join using a comma and a conjunction. Technically, a semicolon is acceptable. Tradititionally, however, they are frowned upon in fiction.

A colon doesn't belong there at all.

The comma also does not belong. It creates the type of run on sentence called a comma splice.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I say it works best as two sentences. Use a period and make "I drink whiskey" a separate sentence.

If you must make this all one sentence, then a semicolon works and is what I'd use. But it's better as two sentences. Use a period.

7. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

A period. Of the grammatical variety.