1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Tragedy in Connecticut...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Dec 14, 2012.

As a writer, my mind wants to re-write the story. I want to get there before the shooter and stop him just in time. In my universe, those twenty children go home to eat dinner with their families, they still get to bug their parents for the toy they want for Christmas...

Twenty children... Twenty lives left unfulfilled. Twenty children that will never know what it's like to have a girlfriend or get their first paycheck, or plan a wedding. Truly innocent victims of a mindless killer.

My heart grieves for the families... My prayers are with them...

How I wish my pen could re-write this...

:(

~ J. J.

2. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

It's truly sad. As a writer, it also sort of brings out other emotions since it reminds us that a lot of the crazy plots that occur in our minds can become all too real. How I wish such deranged people only existed in the pages of our books, or as you said, we could write a way to stop them from doing things like this. Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and to their families.

3. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

As tragic as this is, I have to warn you that if this thread descends into an argument about gun control it will have to be shut. The topic has been done to death on this board and just breeds bad feeling. You have been warned.

4. cmshepard

cmshepard New Member

:(

I feel that the entire world needs to pull together on this - murders in general. I know no one in his or her right mind would ever kill a poor, innocent child. I wish "they" (whoever "they" may be) could figure out what drives people to do such things. When I was a kid (and before, obviously), these things were relatively unheard of. I just wish everyone could go back to that.

Thoughts for everyone involved, and hopes for a better tomorrow everywhere.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It is very sad news to hear. My thoughts are with the families.

6. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

im of two minds with this after you get past the tragedy.

1. we need to deal with mental health better in this country. the reports i am reading say he had a history of mental health and one i saw said assbuergers. ( to do that, you would need to be wrong upstairs)

2 sometimes we face evil. sometimes we look it in the eye for a second, sometimes it tries to ventilate us. i hope to never have to face it this way, but i would prefer i do over my loved ones.

also frekey, some guy in china knifed about 20 school kids their.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Even if you can detect 99.99% of all unstable people before they can commit such an atrocity, there will always be the on in ten thousand that no one sees in time. Furthermore, trying to get that last hundredth of a percent can only result in curtailing the liberty of everyone else, and you still won't get every last asshat.

I still don't know much about what happened. Shortly before the end of my workday, I overheard a conversation about "people are just crazy". I looked at a news site, and know the main details, but it was a developing story, and the details were very incomplete.

Regardless, it is horrific.

8. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I have a book that has a short biography of all the people who died on 9/11. It's a huge book but I keep it because eventually that's all that's left is memories and stories. The stories we tell. The stories we WRITE. It's what keeps them alive in our hearts.

I've been at work all day but when I get home I am lowering the flag in my yard to half staff. I have three young children and I cannot imagine anything like this. I can't imagine the pain and the anger with no one to direct it to. :(

9. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

It's so difficult to hear about these types of events. We've had a very few here in the UK over the last two to three decades, and they've been so devastating to the communities where they've happened. My sympathies go out to the families who've lost someone, whether child or adult, so close to Christmas. The season will now, for them, forever be associated with their loss.

10. SuttonMichael254

SuttonMichael254 Active Member

i heard about it yesterday when i got off work....... shits crazy... as a parent im speechless..... are we really all going to have to start home schooling our kids.... cuz i know if i lost one of my kids to somthing like that i would go off the deep end and eat a bullet... i dont know if the sick SOB was killed or not but if he wasent..... gas the prick

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

He killed himself.

Folks, lets tread carefully here. Emotions are high, but let's try to keep angry, violent thoughts to a minimum here. It's normal to feel them, and it's part of the grieving process. But it's also part of the problem.

Also, I must reinforce what Dante Dases said. The gun debate is OFF LIMITS here. Any such posts will be removed, and infractions will be issued if necessary. This goes for any posts that turn this into a flame thread.

Please think before you post.

12. evelon

evelon Active Member

I've watched the news coverage in UK. My grandson is 5. I ache for the grief the parents must feel. No matter how much anger we feel, who or what we blame, evil happens every day and will continue to happen. It's just so much more horrific when so many young lives are lost in such a needless and tragic manner. I can only say, I'm so sorry.

13. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

This is terrible. But what really angers me is the fact that there are completely heartless and insensitive trolls making all kinds of extremely idiotic comments. I won't even repeat that here. I think it really brings out the ugly side of the internet again, that because people can feel anonymous they just make very brutal and horrendous comments. Luckily, the overwhelming majority is normal and griefs like everyone should.

Sometimes I wish we were not that connected like we are now. I almost feel guilty because I know I will forget about this within a month, this happened in a country thousands of miles away and it does not affect me in the same way as it will affect those parents and those neighbourhoods. It hurts to see these things happening and I guess what I am afraid of is that I will get insensetive towards it eventually; because so many bad things happen in the world that it is almost unbearable to feel bad about everything.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel the pain but I also realize that it is but a fraction of what those involved will feel. And I also know that alot of other sad stuff is going on elsewhere which we might never hear of.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have 7 children and 19 grandchildren... i can only echo our president--my heart is broken.

there is only one way to stop these senseless massacres... that is for everyone who wants to do that to do this:

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

15. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Thanks for that quote, its very powerful.

16. Knarfia

Knarfia New Member

Sorry, pet peeve. I must. Ghandi's actual quote:

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.”

When we shorten quotes to make them fit nicely on a bumper sticker, the meaning is often changed. It's rewriting history. Anyways, it's a tragedy, I have no words.

17. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    This is, I think, the impact of globalisation. Few hundereds of years ago, you wouldn't know about what happened someplace far away. Next village, maybe. The nearest town.
    That's about all.
    Filtering these things is not entirely bad, but I get your point. What is or might be bad is that the world talks about this. Inner-circle, sensitive stuff of a family is brought
    up to the world. Same as it was with Brejvik. We can only turn this globalization/connection to advantage by praying for them. Nothing else could be done.
    My creed is to help where I can, here and now, that's why I gave a homeless guy, whom I very rarely see drunk, a jacket I don't use and some money. Not helping when one can is a serious apse.
    You haven't been given the chance to intervene, so you can't feel guilty. I think the helplessness we feel is due to impossibility to help otherwise than just pray...
    this connecting-people-stuff rather leaves us hopeless.

But as I said, we should turn it to our/their advantage...

1 person likes this.
  18. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Very sad news and very disturbing that someone would go after little children. My thoughts are with all the families involved.

19. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

It takes a special kind of sick to shoot little children. My thought is that this guy must have been bat brained long before he picked up his mother's guns and shot her. There would have been signs. People should have known. And maybe that's the true story here. No one did anything, or at least not enough.

Prayers to the families of the deceased. I can't even begin to imagine their pain.

Greg.

20. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

like i have been saying, we need better crazy control before they do something like this

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

here's how the shortened version seemed to come about:

thanks for the clarification, knarfia... i'll be switching to his actual quote, which is even better... namasta, maia

22. Pauly Pen Feathers

Pauly Pen Feathers New Member

It's been almost 48 hours; my constant weeping is finally turning to anger. How will these parents and family, so damaged, ever recover from this horror?

23. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

This is not for critique, it's just some thoughts on the tragedy------

Presents left unopened
    Silent 'neath the tree.

Their little feet still run
    across the sleek tiled floor
    They slam the cupboard doors
    And pull out all the toys.

Where are the little hands that tug
    At my apron strings today?
    I hear them in the garden
    I hear them in my sleep

I feel their sticky palms
    pressed into my back
    Their small fresh faces
    Against my stomach

I would give them all the toys
    All the chocolate in the world
    Now

But the presents remain
    unopened
    Silent 'neath the tree.

1 person likes this.
  24. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

That's beautiful, Mckk. Thank you.

25. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I've seen this thread, and wanted to say something, but I can't find words... When something like this happens, there aren't words for it. Words shouldn't be forced to express the horror. All I can say is that my prayers are with those affected, and that If I cried when I heard about it, I cannot imagine what those poor people must be going through.