Transcend my genre? Heck, I'm just trying to transcend basic literacy.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by mrieder79, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

"My first rodeo" is a common phrase used in Arkansas, it's not considered tired. I imagine it's the same in many other southern states where rodeos are prevalent. Oh, um, I don't know of any examples in literature though.

Tenderiser, jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

You obviously haven't read -- "My First Rodeo" by Roald Dahl.

3. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

no I haven't. does it have talking centipedes?

4. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

It's often sold together with the Dr. Suess book - "Putting your pants on (a one leg at a time narrative.)"

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Harry the Poisonous Centipede was one of my favourite books. :D

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

When someone criticizes your choice of words and you choose to criticize them.

7. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

You have the right to call me a dickhead. I respect that. I don't know what I said or did that led you to have any sort of expectations of me, though. Your disappointment is puzzling.

It is always wise to reserve judgement of people, especially those whom you do not know. That said, I have no expectation of any kind of human decency, from anyone, at any time and so I am not impressed by much.

I do have a question. So, are you suggesting that I am the head of a dick? Is it a metaphor? Or is my head somehow dick-like? Are you okay with me interpreting this as a compliment?

Just admit it, none of you were anticipating this as my response. You could say I "transcended" the typical knee-jerk reaction of a normal, whiny internet poster. It's fine, I welcome your antipathy. It is one of the purest emotional responses and one that I have always trusted to be genuine. Just don't forget not to throw too many stones. We all have windows on our houses.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

A thought occurred to me. It came to me in a dream. Just like that, I had a light-bulb moment. You have to live your life one day at a time. You have to crawl before you can walk. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be yourself. Nobody can be a better you than you. Because at the end of the day, all that matters is love. And that's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Every time I hear a phrase that I've heard from a dozen different writers or in a handful of different works, it's almost like a little cash register bell goes off in my head. The job of an editor includes noticing those little echoes in your writing. Sure, you can get away with the occasional usage of a completely unoriginal expression. But to be honest, if I wanted to make a character sound like a complete tool I'd have him spitting out things like "You know what they say, don't judge a book by its cover!" all the time. Editors are really fucking smart people who know language better than most writers.

Rest assured, really smart people get bored easily. Imagine you're sitting there, reading the 30,000th manuscript of your career and on the first page you read, "I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached to my neck."

I guess my real, on topic point is this: you can't avoid being cliché if you aren't even aware of what cliché is.

9. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

:bigmeh::bigmeh::bigmeh:
    Okay, first of all, dickhead means you were behaving unpleasantly. If you interpret that as a compliment you are using your own lone definition. Actual genitalia have nothing to do with this conversation. The context tells you what I mean even without understanding the word. It's clearly a insult word given it's positioning. I'm calling you out.
    Secondly, the disappointment is because I have seen you around before, remember?, and my impression then was more favourable than this. So my building image of you, though quite incomplete, was nonetheless disappointed by this. I also prefer to be optimistic and lenient. As a pacifist and believer in human rights I have a strong drive towards peaceful, good-natured interaction. It's what I want of the world. I'm the kind of the person who can be really annoyed and critical in the moment, but still let it go later. I believe that is a good thing.
    Thirdly, I would just like to say on your comments earlier about your level of social apathy, I understand more than you might think. I'm going to get personal here. Fuck it. I have plenty of friends, and I get along on here quite well, but it's not always like that. I have ADHD and Asperger's. And for many years I was quite lacking in self-awareness. I was pretty damn awkward. I was the kind of person who got bullied a lot. One of my bullies has a fondness for shoving people around. He had actual anger issues. The other memorable guy was even more troubled. His mother gave birth to him addicted to cocaine. He was kind of fucked up. He whipped my brother with a thorny stick once. And though I have gotten better at social interaction, and managed my friendships better, and dealt with enemies better, turning things more peaceful with them, I am still that person. And a good portion of my grace from bullying comes from an environment that is very suitable for my character. So any time someone tries to claim their social skills as a excuse, you can bet it pisses me off. You are an adult. You should be able, even if you have the biggest case of Asperger's or whatever, to live in human modern society and function respectfully. It is not only unpleasant to behave so pointedly as you did to the OC without provocation, it is also impractical. No wonder you don't function socially when you act like that. You will not get by if you can't work with people.
    Fourthly, that last bit comes off as gloating and petty. It convinces me of nothing.
    I will no longer speak to you on this matter. And I wouldn't be surprised if you're banned.
    :superwhew::superwhew::superwhew::superwhew::superwhew: Nthathat we're done with this farce, let's get back to polite, productive conversation, shall we?

10. Oscar Leigh

Well-known phrases are also well-used phrases. The fear of cliche is arguably cliche. A cash-register bell or other ding sounds are common metaphors for thought. You can't always be super-inventive. Having a character use a familiar phrase is just ane expression that they are human, and pick up norms sometimes. And seeing as it's slightly old-fashioned, that phrase actually hints at the age of the character. Probably middle-aged or older. (Aha! I guessed your age! :p)
    But I agree that they will get bored reading all those manuscripts. Just like teacher marking assessments. Surprise them. But that was already mentioned.
    (Also, if love matters so much why were you so rude? :supercheeky:)

11. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

I suppose that WARM BODIES by Isaac Marion could have been considered to transcend the popular Zombie novel troupe of several years ago.

Indefatigable Id and Oscar Leigh like this.
  12. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

No offense, but what chance have you got of winning a pissing contest with a person who literally has a dick where their head should be?

13. Oscar Leigh

Hehehe, I'll allow you a humour point for that. :DBut, I will not be involved in any "pissing contest". As I said, I've given you my piece. If you don't agree, fine. But let's get back to polite, productive conversation. So don't bring it up.

Indefatigable Id likes this.
  14. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

I'm 30. But, I have a ridiculously good memory when it comes to words. Suffice to say (as opposed to "suffice it to say"), I know a hell of a lot of phrases, expressions and otherwise generally stupid ways of saying things. It has nothing to do with when (80's/90's) or where (predominantly Spanish-speaking urban ghetto) I grew up. I like words. I get bored easily. I read a lot, and most of what I read is not popular fiction. I would love nothing more than to have an all-out battle of wits with y'all (yuck, amirite?) but I don't think the moderators would take too kindly to that sort of tomfoolery 'round these parts.

The Moral of the Storyâ„¢ is that there are a whole bunch of things you can say that were once brilliantly said, phrases that captured the spirit of what their writer was trying to say so perfectly that they have become a part of our "cultural zeitgeist" (an expression made infamous by Anita Sarkeesian) . We hear them over and over in the titles of news articles and in songs. There's a place and a time for them, and that time is generally when you're trying to make something familiar and relatable, and you're not worried about coming across as mawkishly sentimental (and maybe a little bit puerile).

Even if you just stick to the way normal people talk, avoid big words and resist the temptation to show off how brilliant you are by using these magical phrases you've got memorized--you're doing something a lot of other writers aren't doing. I'm a nobody, but even I know that when you try to sound clever you come across as dull. It's called "trying too hard".

15. Claire Kingsley

Claire Kingsley New Member

Oh, the irony!

BayView, Tenderiser, jannert and 3 others like this.
  16. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

:rofl:

17. Oscar Leigh

As funny as that was, can we not talk about how rude he is any longer? It's better to move on from that. And any other bickering with him. As tempting as it may be.

18. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

123456789 likes this.
  19. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

If you want to join in, I'm fine with that. I'm always outnumbered in these things, anyhow.

20. Oscar Leigh

Goddamit, must resist urge. Please can we move on? Stop being annoying while talking about how we found you annoying. I get it, you're unrepentently rude. Not impressed. Can we be on-topic? Can you be better than this?

Tenderiser and Indefatigable Id like this.
  21. Indefatigable Id

Indefatigable Id Member

So you gave in to your temptation after all?

22. Oscar Leigh

Changed my post. Let's not talk about it.

23. Claire Kingsley

Claire Kingsley New Member

Mrieder89's initial question has been answered fairly well, and it feels like the thread is just devolving from here.

:superwhew:

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Just use the forum's ignore function and move on. Surely you have better things to do with your time. Will also get us back on topic.

BayView likes this.
  25. Oscar Leigh

I'm going to give him one last chance. But not on this thread. Maybe he'll cool off.