1. Mask

Mask New Member

Translation and Localization: How to be Successful?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Mask, Mar 1, 2013.

I'm wondering about the validity of non-English-speaking markets, right now. From what I've seen, many people get bad results... However, at the same time, I have heard there is a lot of potential if you pull it off.

Question is: How?

Does anyone know of books from experienced authors on how to successfully localize your work in other countries? Resources which would be helpful to people considering translating their book?

Does anyone have thoughts or experience in the matter?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

have you a book of your own published in english that you want to translate to other languages and market in other parts of the world?...

if so, first you have to be sure the book would be of interest to enough readers in other countries that the cost of doing so would be justified... then you need to have a LOT of money to pay good translators... and would have to find a publisher willing to take it on, or pay to self-publish and distribute it...

but if your book isn't/wasn't a runaway bestseller that was made much of by the international media, it's not likely people in other parts of the world would have heard of it, so there'd be little to no market for it...

that's my thinking on the matter... sorry, but i don't know of any books dealing with it... have you googled?

3. Mask

Mask New Member

Did some hard googling, and found this: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Translator_As_Author.html?id=NIJQKDjv_WIC&redir_esc=y

There are several linked books which might be good. I'm not sure at the moment... I guess I'll have to try and research each of those books and see if any of them seem to be the kind of thing I want.

Anyone know about them? Or any others?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Translation always loses something. The better the original witing, the greater the loss, because it's the subtleties that are the first to go.

5. idle

idle Active Member

On the other hand there are countries where most of the book market is made up of translated books. So, even with the loss of subtleties, it still works.