1. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Trapped in the Bathroom in a pool of blood...What Now?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lmc71775, Jan 6, 2011.

The scene before it is where my MC is partying in the woods with a bunch of dead-beat so called friends just to get closer to her best friend (boy) who she is in love with.

She tries to talk to her bf, but things fall through so she leaves, or tries to but is swept off her feet by something or someone clamping onto her foot making her fall and black out.

She wakes in some bathroom somewhere in a pool of blood, which is not hers. Mysterious people are watching her from inside the wall, as she tries to find ways to escape.

How do I get my MC outta this scenario? Should I have her wake up somewhere else instead? Should I not have her trapped? How would you proceed?

2. SashaMerideth

SashaMerideth Active Member

Bathroom, toilet seat, use the toilet seat to break the bathroom window and crawl out? Walls could be broken through if she is desperate enough, things of that sort. I am guessing the bathroom is bolted from the outside, as a bathroom lock is there to keep other people getting in, not you getting out, so just breaching the door isn't an option.

I think you are moving too fast, what happens after she escapes? Take that in to account when deciding how or even when she escapes.

3. Walrusdragon

Walrusdragon New Member

Or maybe use the toilet seat to bash someone in the head when they try to enter the room. Im going to assume someone is going to try to come in eventually. If not that would be a little weird.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Maybe it could be a really basic bathroom with a dirt floor and she could dig her way out.

5. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

I don't understand what you are asking for. Why did you put her there? Is being trapped necessary for the main story? If not, is this a sub-plot?

If you put here in there and then have her escape in 2 minutes and then jump back into your main story without there being a reason for people looking at her in a bathroom..that might seem awkward for readers.

But, if you just want ideas on how to escape a bathroom..most bathrooms have doors and windows...maybe she picked up a screw driver earlier in the story and uses it to bust the window or break the door lock.

Maybe she has a lighter and sets the bathroom on fire.

Really the possibilities are endless. You get to write and choose what items she has, what the bathroom is like/has and so on.

6. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

Depends on how you describe the bathroom. I have seen some old bathrooms that have really big ventilation fans that could be wide enough for a thin girl to fit through, and if it is a single-story house and that fan vents directly outside then she could simply yank down the fan housing and climb out. Alternately she could, as mentioned above, use the toilet seat (if wooden, because a plastic one wouldn't do much good) or the tank cover (almost always ceramic, so nice and heavy) to break out a window or defend herself against anyone who comes in. Another option would be ignoring doors and windows--the interior walls of most homes are drywall hung on evenly spaced 2x4 boards without insulation, or at least not much insulation, in between the layers. You can have her break through the drywall trying to escape or trying to attack whoever is looking at her through a wall.

7. Gholin

Gholin Member

Given the suspenseful air your scene has to it, I wouldn't make it too easy for her to escape. Let her struggle a bit, like banging against the bathroom door and trying to open it. Don't let her out too easily, but definitely give her a way out and don't drag it out too much. Many of the suggestions above would work just fine.

Now, if this bathroom is a surreal manifestation of her fear/shock or a trap devised by the thing that brought her there, maybe you could have her panic a bit and smash the mirror. She could then finds a way out through the mirror as if it were all an illusion. Falling down the rabbit hole!

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas :).

8. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

All good ideas guys, thanks. I'm not gonna have her in the bathroom long, not like some teens. LOL I'm in the process of writing it now. I have her lift the toilet tank and snapping off a thin rod and having her do something with that.

9. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

I had to fix my toilet the other day and I am a girl. I don't mean to say that a girl could not do that...but I find it hard to believe a girl could do that (at least considering strength). I don't think most men would have the strength to do that.

And I am wondering what thin rod you are talking about? Will you have her cut off the water supply and drain the tank? Or unscrew the pieces that hold the toilet to the floor? Or unscrew the tank from the toilet? If not, I cannot see how this could happen.

If you say that the toilet comes away easily from the floor, then that floor is rotten and probably would not hold a toilet in the first place.

No offense..

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Could you write in a smashable window and smash it with something ?

11. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

It's an old abandoned farmhouse, nothing works and yes, the toilet is rotted out, would that work you think? I am referring to the thin rod that connects the handle to the floating balloon thingy.

12. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

It will work if you can find that name of that thingy! I think it might be called a tank lever???????

13. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

the mc wouldn't need to know what it's called :)

14. Lmc71775

Lmc71775 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think the MC would know exactly what the thing is called. But calling it a a thin rod connected to the "tank lever" is a good idea. I was gonna google it and see. Maybe "thin rod" is not the right words for it.

15. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Maybe the mysterious persons simply decide to let her out. The event was either a test for her &/or a show of their power. Sort of like holding someone over the railing of a bridge, then hauling them back to the bridge deck.

-Frank

16. Pythonforger

Pythonforger Carrier of Insanity

The MC simply shouts vulgarities to the people watching him/her in the walls. You can only go so long with a pissed off person repeatedly screaming,"**** YOU!" Eventually the mysterious people will come and then, well what happens after that you decide.

17. Darkhunter

Darkhunter New Member

How the MC could get out could be they find a metal piece that they use to pry the metal screws out of the door frame to get out of the room.

To make things interesting however you could have the MC find a camera recording them and try to figure out why exactly. If you get out by having the window barred and they get the bars off or get the door open somehow you could make the story of 'Who was recoding me?' as they investigate the creepy farmhouse in the middle of nowhere possibly finding a dead body as a source of the blood they are in... possibly the MC's friends?

18. Ion

Ion New Member

The human body is rife with natural weapons and weaknesses. It's a lot easier to cripple or kill someone without a weapon than you might think.

It really depends on how dark or violent you want this to get, and how desperate/competent your protagonist is.

For example, people generally don't expect to get punched in the throat, have their eyes gouged out, or get hit off balance, knocked to the ground, and then get stomped in the neck.

Your character is in an extreme situation. You might be doing this a little too soon in the story if this isn't the feel you're going for.

19. Mewditto

Mewditto New Member

Does she know that people are inside the walls? if she does, then she could find a wrench in the sink cabinet, so she unscrews a pipe, and uses it as a weapon and bashes the walls, trying to hit the people "inside the walls"

If she doesn't, maybe if there is a window, she tries to bash out of it with something,

Both ways, she may want to be like standing on something so she isn't standing in the blood so much.