1. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

Triggering Your Imagination

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Chad Lutzke, Jul 7, 2014.

Recently I wrote an entry in my blog, Pre-Author, Post-Boredom, about triggering your imagination and a particularly unusual way I happen to trigger mine one day. I'm curious about other unconventional ways people get their mojo rising!

~Chad

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Liked your flash, Chad! Pictures really inspire me too. I like to browse on Ebay and find new or odd things - old makeup ads helped me come up with my Optical Meltdown story. But I'd say the biggest things that trigger my imagination are other peoples stories. I don't vulture them, though, I just look for a certain vibe or idea that's been overlooked and take it. Ie. - I love old road trip movies like Detour so I spun that framework into a quirky story that I'm still working on.

GingerCoffee and Chad Lutzke like this.
  3. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

Music for me - always music.

Alexz7272, peachalulu and Chad Lutzke like this.
  4. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

I love people-watching. I get heaps of inspiration from riding in a car, (while someone else is driving), and looking at everything as I go past- kind of like you cruising through Google maps! I also get a lot from listening to music and seeing where it takes me, or a combination of the two.

5. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

Google Maps Street View is an amazing tool. I use it a lot, and once got a comment in my critique group that I must have been to Rome based on my description. Nope - Google Street View.

Spent today virtually cruising around Appleton, Wisconsin where my protagonist grew up. Never been there either but I can write at least a rudimentary version of someone who knows the town.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  6. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

People-watching, long walks, and music (often together) seem to be the most effective triggers of my imagination. It is eerily effective right now, since I am writing about a protagonist who is a musician and is doomed to be effectively a people-watcher forever.

Anyone do LSD? Psilocybin? Cough syrup?

Michael the Angel likes this.
  7. Michael the Angel

Michael the Angel Member

DMT and Cannabis, yes. LSD lasts too long and I feel drained after. Robo tripping is hard to channel. I can't stay focused.

Music and marijuana all day er' day.

daemon and GoldenGhost like this.
  8. BookLover

BookLover Contributing Member

Music. Entertainment. Those are inspirational.

Also, reading about or being around open-minded, artsy people. Closed minded people have the opposite effect on my imagination and they make me feel judged, like I need to be a certain way or think a certain way. But open-minded, free spirited people make me feel more accepting of myself and then all this creativity spills out of me.

9. AJC

AJC Active Member

Reading does it for me. It could be anything from novels to science textbooks.

Alexz7272, peachalulu and Chad Lutzke like this.
  10. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Silence, and maybe a little beer. Darkness helps, too - I get inspired before dawn. I have to get back into the routine of taking a walk around the block before the sun comes up - it's very quiet, nobody's around, the exercise gets the blood flowing and the mind active, and the worlds in my head get moving.

GoldenGhost and Chad Lutzke like this.
  11. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Water helps me with inspiration, be it a shower, cleaning or swimming, water helps me organise my thoughts. Also, I can't stand mess, it leaves me feeling really confused and foggy-headed, so tidying up both lets my brain rest during the (mostly) mindless task of decluttering, and I end up with a tidy house that makes the ideas in my head crystallise into what's important and what isn't. Playing with my dog and going for a walk also, people watching, movies, music and other books, all sparked inspiration countless times before.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    peachalulu and Chad Lutzke like this.
  12. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

Thank you for the praise, @peachalulu . Makeup ads, that's an interesting one. On a side note, I love road trip movies, Something Wild, Sideways, and Wild At Heart being a few of my faves.

peachalulu likes this.
  13. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

What a great idea using Google maps for that!

Do you write a lot of sci-fi as a result @AJC ?

Water..very interesting @jazzabel . Do you have any idea why? That's very intriguing, and unfortunately, I can relate to the clutter ruining everything. I'm the same way.

Some great answers here!

14. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Reading, music, talking to people, watching TV, posting on this forum... It's amazing the things that can inspire you.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  15. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Contributing Member

Everything kind of inspires me so generally I need to leave the house and do something, pretty much anything and I'll find some inspiration. Sometimes reading or music helps but not very often.

This is kind of strange but the one consistent way I can trigger my imagination is by doing something simple and repetitive, like walking or playing a game on my phone, for a while I'll generally get lots of new ideas.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  16. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I've always been like this, and assumed I was just a bit of a perfectionist. But I have a more esoteric answer, which I realised when I started to study Chinese five element theory, which is the basis for their traditional medicine.

I found out that my chart doesn't have a drop of Water in it, essentially very hot and dry chart with predominance of Fire and Earth, with good Wood that needs Water to thrive, so Water is the element I need in order to be balanced physically and mentally. Cleaning is a Water activity, orderliness is Metal, and Metal produces Water. I realised I had a lot of instinctive behaviours and habits, like the cleaning and orderliness, singing, need to live close to water, swimming, love of the colour black, that bring Water energy into my life. Some other things connected with Water element are sentimentality, romance, nostalgia, travel, humour, intense emotions, winter season, night-time, all of which are things I gravitate towards.

It might not apply to you, I just thought it was a fascinating perspective. :)

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  17. Chad Lutzke

Chad Lutzke Member

Very interesting perspective. I too have some extremes that I guess would be classified in the water area--I have freak levels of sentimentality and nostalgia--and I'm OCD, yet I hate winter and the color black..lol..Thank you for sharing @jazzabel !

jazzabel likes this.
  18. AJC

AJC Active Member

I do. I only started writing less than a year ago, so for now, I'm sticking exclusively to sci-fi. When I get better at writing, I will try branching out.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  19. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Anything and everything at any time or any place works for me. I can literally look at any random object and come up with a storyline centered around it. Of course, I would not do that for just anything.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  20. J Faceless

J Faceless Active Member

Doing mundane task help me. I'll daydream up some great ideas while doing something like cleaning or organizing. Also physical activities that get the blood flowing help me a lot. I've thought up some brilliant ideas while jogging.
    Going to new places or new activities is another great way that seems to work.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  21. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Well, I have a friend who owns about a dozen cats.
    So, when I need inspiration, I go to the pet shop and get myself a bunny.
    I then visit said friend and toss him fffree into the house.

The imminent threat of having codemned an innoncent animal to death forces me to think of an idea right away before it's too late.

22. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

When I go out to see a movie with people and the movie sucks, I zone out of the movie. Its flaws trigger my imagination to write a good story that avoids said flaws.

Chad Lutzke likes this.
  23. Alexz7272

Alexz7272 Member

Being in the outdoors always sparks my imagination without fail every time. Luckily I live on my own 4 acre mini farm facing the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, therefore I have more access then most to easily go and explore. My backpacking trips usually offer the greatest results. I tend to have a LOT of time to think and imagine things while I trekking down the miles to my destination.

Chad Lutzke likes this.