1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Trouble Starting

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Crazy Ivan, Jan 21, 2008.

There's a series that I'm writing that has had much time, energy, and excitement invested into it. I've plotted the whole thing out, something I've never been able to do for any other project before. I know what's going to happen, and I'm already a good way into the series.
    Except now I'm starting the latest installment, and I've hit a bump: How do you clue the audience back in to what's been happening without scaring them away via boredom? The series is an action-packed kind of thing, so I already know how the story begins (trolls attacking a light rail train). But how do I get around to that while trying to keep readers updated?
    Writing isn't like TV. You can't say "Previously, on..." and then show a nice little clip show. You've got to keep the readers going.
    Any ideas?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can have a synopsis prior to the first chapter of the new installment. Those who have read the previous installments can skip it, but those entering late in the series get the information they need in order to understand what is happening. See Tolkein's The Two Towers and The Return of the King for examples.

3. tomatosoup2

tomatosoup2 New Member

I have been looking arround for some every tips on improving your writing, does anyone have some?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The site is filled with them.

5. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Just explore this forum. Find old and current threads, make your own, read the available resources. Everything a writer needs is here!
    Nate

6. kygos

kygos New Member

hi all
    Ive always had trouble with starting my storys. I now where it starts but i cant seem to put it to words. Is there any methods i can use to get past that.

7. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Don't start at the beginning? It's your story noone says you need to write it from beginning to end.

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

There are a few things you want to accomplish in an opening scene:

1. Set up conflict. It could be the main conflict, or just someone having a bad day with their boss or something. Either way, it should be related to the rest of the story somehow. Don't use the boss conflict if the boss will never appear again, for example. Give us a conflict that shows us the type of setting and atmosphere your story takes place in.

2. Set a tone for the rest of the story. Not that you have to have the same tone all the way through of course, but if it's primarily a horror, comedy, etc set that tone in the opening scene. Do it well enough that the reader wants to keep turning pages.

3. Show, not tell (avoid infodumps) info about the characters.

Try NOT to open with someone just waking up and going about a daily routine.

9. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I write out the major points I want to hit in the story in caps. Basically, an informal outline. Then knock them off as I get inspired.

A friend of mine uses a method that would not work for me, but may for you. She starts with a one sentence premise. then re-writes that as two sentences. She repeats this till she has a good start to the story. Seems time intensive to me, but works for her.

-Frank

10. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Staring with some dialogue in terms of a discussion or argument is a good way to introduce characters without having to info dump in order to do so.

11. kygos

kygos New Member

thanks all u have been really helpful

12. Edward G

Edward G Banned

You’re going to have to start your stories with an ability to write. I know that sounds cruel, but look at your OP: you misspelled stories for Christ’s sake. You also seem to have no knowledge of punctuation. Why, then are you putting the cart before the horse?

I’m not saying this to put you down; I’m really not. I’m pointing out a fact you’re going to have to get your head around if you want to be a fiction writer: it starts with knowing how to write in the first place. The correct use of grammar and spelling is the fundamental tool of writing to communicate with others.

I realize in texting that a lot of rules are broken to make the messaging faster. But if you post in a writers’ forum using text-speak it makes you look like you never got passed the second grade in school, and if that’s the case, you can’t be a writer.

You have to be able to write to write stories.

13. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

As Edward pointed out, you have some mistakes in your OP. I'll point some of them out so you don't commit them again :]

Ive should be I've. Ive is not a word. I've is the combination of I and have.
    Story is singular. Stories is the plural form of "story."
    Now means at the present time/moment. Know means to have knowledge of something, to be aware of.
    Always capitalize I.
    Cant should be Can't. Can't means Cannot.
    "Is there any methods" is wrong. Notice that you chose to use the plural form of method, which means that you also have to use the plural form for Is, which is Are. "Are there any methods I can use to get past that?" <--- Use a question mark, not a period.

14. WuMan

WuMan New Member

I always go right to the description

15. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Okay, for me, starting a novel is always the hard part. I have all the ideas in my head for how I want the story to go except how to begin it. And that writer's block in the very beginning of all my stories is the reason why I can never complete anything.
    Anyone have any tips they would like to share on how to start a novel?

16. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It's always the hard part? You've done this before? How did you work through it the other times?

Okay, okay, just giving you a slightly hard time. My advice? Fast forward to the part of the story that you're certain of, and start from there. Seriously. If that doesn't ultimately satisfy you as a starting point for your story, you'll think of something by the time you start reviewing and editing.

17. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Too many questions!! I'm about to hyperventilate...haha, kidding. :)

Hmm..I see what you mean. The thing is though, I have the idea like the plot, characters, a general idea. I'm just having trouble thinking of a good scene to begin with. I don't want to rush into anything, but I also don't want to bore the reader the second they start reading. But, true, after I get all my brain juices flowing into the other parts of the story, I'll probably be able to come up with something for the beginning. Haha, thanks! :)

18. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

Do you have an outline? I've found that I tend to do much better when I have an outline--I start by writing out my general ideas for the story, then all the information I can about the characters. After that I typically outline it something like this:

Introduction/Setup - How to introduce the story and characters, and possibly set up the conflict
    Conflict(s) - Write out details you want to include about your conflict or conflicts, including possible climactic scenes
    Resolution - What brings the conflict to a close and how do you want to end the story?

I find that I typically write the Introduction/Setup section last, even though it comes first, chronologically. Outlining the other aspects gives me a better idea of how to start.

19. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Ahh..an outline. That would probably do loads of help. No joke. It would be nice to take all my ideas out of my head and have them laid out and organized in front of me. Never really thought about that because I usually blow off outlines I have to do for school. But considering this would be on something I'm interested in and willing to invest my time in, I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks you two! Both of you have been extremely helpful. I like having more than one option on how to do something. Wow, this forum is already proving its usefulness. Haha :)

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I always struggle with beginnings too. Usually I write every other part of the story first and write or rewrite the beginning after.

21. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Haha, I don't know what my deal is but I hate doing things out of order. But, hey, I'll give a go at all your different suggestions and see what works best for me. :)

22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Good luck. I know how difficult beginnings are. :rolleyes:

23. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Haha, thanks!

1 person likes this.
  24. Declan

Declan New Member

I like to start with something exciting, and I'm sure my reader would too.
    The guys are right about an outline though, that definately helps, and to have the themes and ideas to hand as well.
    Right now I'm doing a load of research (that helps keep things moving and avoids plot holes).
    However, to get started just dive in and have fun, because if you're anything like me it's likely you will revise the introduction about a hundred times.

Good luck :)

25. Unlucky#7

Unlucky#7 New Member

Hey Declan! I agree that starting something exciting is always fun for the writer and enjoyable for the reader. Haha. I'm actually doing some research right now too as it turns out, mainly because I couldn't find anything else to do... I think my main problem is I want my first draft to be perfect and I know that's impossible. But! I'm just going to do everything you guys told me to do, have fun with it, and not worry too much about it being perfect right now. :)