1. Jason20679

Jason20679 New Member

Started handwriting my 1st story

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Jason20679, Jan 9, 2012.

Hi,

I've started writing, by hand, one of the many stories i have floating round my head but i want to put it on comp. I have openoffice on my comp and happy to that but if there is something else i can use i'd try it.
    Do i need to think about font, margins and such like? if so What are they?

The story i'm writing is a kids story so if there's any advice anyone can give it would be greatly recieved

Thanks

J

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva New Member

I think for right now, just getting it down onto "paper" (so to speak) is much more important than fonts, margins, etc. Those can be changed later on. Go with a font that is easy for you to read.

As for word processing programs, I prefer Open Office over any other program I've tried. That's just me, though. I find it MUCH easier to use than MS Word or MS Works.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the thing is, ms word is the lingua franca of the writing/publishing world, so no matter what program you use, be sure you can convert the mss to ms word when you're ready to start submitting to agents/publishers...

as for how to write it, it's always best to start out using the proper format, to avoid getting into bad habits, as well as saving a lot of time and duplicated effort later... go here for the best ms format guide you'll find:
    www.shunn.com

be sure to do your homework first and bone up on the basics, such as appropriate vocabulary, sentence structure, word count, etc. for the age range you're targeting... a priceless resource for doing this is amazon's 'stats' and 'concordance' info you'll find on many of their listings of children's books [have to scroll down to find 'em], as well as the nifty 'look inside' feature...

i write children's stories/books for a chicago publisher and i mentor many children's writers, so if you need any help along the way, just drop me a line anytime...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice that is more actively developed and seems to be better at conversions to MAJors. The usability of all of these is comparable.