1. animefans12

animefans12 Member

Trouble with my paranormal story...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by animefans12, Jun 6, 2011.

Okay, I'm writing a story that's mainly in the genre of drama and it's paranormal. Anyhow, I guess I should just list out a quick plot of what I have currently:

In school's classroom, my characters all in a group, telling scary stories -> English teacher comes in and gives them a scare -> Decided to leave for a buffet -> MC finds out that it's midnight, even though it's not -> chimes and bells heard -> ...... -> Two characters decided to go inside the classroom they heard a strange noise from -> Some stay to wait, others leave -> MC finally goes inside the room to check -> one character missing -> One has an injury (not sure what) -> Left room -> Group waiting outside classroom disappeared -> Go to clinic -> Tend to wound -> ..... -> Tried contacting others, but could not -> ..... -> Someone called on MC cell phone -> Ghost talking on phone -> ......

Okay, I guess I should just stop there and try to fill in the plot holes. I've already written the original part of this story out in paper, but as I was typing it up, I can see so many errors and details I should've still added. So I did and there are some plot holes where I'm not sure what to do.

The "...." means that I haven't figured out what to do at that part and I haven't reached that for my edited draft.

If I posted in the wrong place, I'm so sorry about that (><; ) but thanks if you guys can help! ^^

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure what you want. If you want validation, go find it within yourself. You're not going to get it from any sane person here. If you actually want something, ask. But for the most part, we're not going to write your plot for you.

2 people like this.
  3. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

You may need to organize your plot story. And from where I'm reading it, you may be having a hard time seeing where your story is going, how the plot will be written together, and what the entire model of the story looks like. I have use Syd Field's Three-Act theory to help myself see where my story is going. I know this may not work for you, and even for some other people, but it has for me. Have you tried structuring your story before you actually wrote deeper into it (such as the Three Act Structure)? You can try applying the three-act structure to the story, which will help you orginaze the plot. You don't necessarily need to have ACT 1, scene I, Scene II, etc in your final or rough draft. Just have a basic outline of your story structure. Thie three-act structure can be just a personal outline, and you don't necessarily need to submit the outline for publication or turn the novel into a play.

If you were to do this, Act I would be the situation the character is in and establish the theme of the story (assuming that you already know what the theme and what situation the character is already in). Then, Plot Point I turns the story around into a new direction. It could be the people telling scary stories as the instructor enters, or so on. One of the plots you described could be Plot Point I, Plot Point I normally occurs at the very end of Act I. And then it starts with Act II. With Act two, this is the time to fill in the plot holes, while the first Plot Point asks you "what happens next?" You may have written obstacles after obstacles in Act II, which is good. Plot Point II at the end of ACT II is the major obstacle that turns the story around again, which forces us into Act III. Using the Three-Act Structure can help you work around, or even fix or fill in your plot holes, which is the main reason why the Three Act Structure a helpful tool in a story.

Like I said, this might not work for you, and having a well-structured story can help you identify plot holes and bugs in your story. And I'm not saying that you need to have "Chapter 1, Act 1." That would not even make sense in this post. I'm saying that the three act structure can be in the planning stage of your story if you are having problems filling in plot holes and putting your story together.

4. animefans12

animefans12 Member

@cruciFICTION
    Looks like I didn't properly ask a question here. Sorry about that! I was posting this during midnight, so my brain wasn't working properly enough. Forgive me about that. ><;;

Anyhow, looks like I need to clarify what I'm trying to ask here. Any tips on how paranormal stories usually work? I don't mean "What should I write in my story?" or "Any ideas on what my paranormal story should add?"... no. Just also a tip to organize a story would be also nice.

@Reggie
    Thanks. I'll take your advice and try it out. I did try to do the Plot Timeline, but the "..." just means I don't have any ideas currently (Don't give me any ideas about it please! :) ) I just need some tips on organization and tips on scary story (Like they need more drama, etc.)

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, but I've only recently came back to writing stories again. ><;;

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

If you want tips on paranormal stories, reading some Stephen King is a good idea. The Shining is one of his best books and an excellent paranormal story.

6. animefans12

animefans12 Member

^Thanks. I'll check that out definately. :)

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You're welcome, and you definitely should. :) One of my favorite books, actually sent shivers up my spine.

8. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Steven King has good books to read. J.K Rowling show great ways of smoothing plots too. The Book Holes, by Louis Sachar, is a good book too. Holes is one of my favorite books, and I enjoy reading it.

9. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Correct me if I am wrong here; it sounds like you have the first step down to determine what kind of story you are going to tell but you do not have a story yet. It also sounds like you may have some action scenes done but no plot to tie them together. Is this correct?

If not then ignore what I am about to say.

You need to decide what the story is that you are going to tell. Is it a lost love story with residual haunts, is it an exorcise story with the MC trying to get rid of the ghost, or is it a tragedy where the MC dies in the end or is already dead?

Once you have that then you can lay out a plot for telling the story. May need some flash backs to how the ghost died or discoveries of information or technology to help the MC with exorcising the ghost.

I am not sure this helps.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The only way to close plot holes is to take them one at a time and make adjustments to fix each one. If the hole is intrinsic to your story, then you're in major trouble.

There's no magic bullet for plot holes. Just a strong imagination and hard work.

11. animefans12

animefans12 Member

@JimFlagg
    That definately did help me a bit since the main thing about paranormal/horror stories is the root... Figuring out what caused the paranormal situation. ^^

@Cogito
    I shall try my best to do that. Thanks. ^^