1. L.W Schmidt

L.W Schmidt Member

Trouble With Titles?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by L.W Schmidt, Feb 7, 2016.

My novel is currently titled 'Aus der Traum' (meaning 'the dream is over' in English), however, the novel isn't written in German and I'm worried that this may put some people off reading it. But the thing is, this title is incredibly relevant to the plot as a whole -- 'Aus der Traum' was common graffiti on buildings during the battle of Berlin in 1945 and I just feel that it encompasses everything that the book is about (since it revolves around the lives of some German soldiers during the second world war). I don't want to change it if I don't have to, but will using a foreign phrase in the title make people are more reluctant to pick it up?

2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I think it would make me more reluctant, yeah.

Could you do a title/subtitle combo?

The Dream is Over
    Aus der Traum

AASmith likes this.
  3. L.W Schmidt

L.W Schmidt Member

@BayView You're right, I suppose I could do that. At least that way I can still kind of keep it. I mean, it breaks my heart, but I guess having people read my book is more important than my personal attachment to the title lol

4. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing as bayview. If i saw that as a title, I would assume the book was written in another language and not pick it up.

5. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

Also, not to mention, the vast majority of people wont know what that means so while it makes sense for your book, i think he would limit your audience.

6. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I think The Dream is Over is a great title, and the meaning will become deeper as the reader learns what was scribbled on the walls—and why. I agree that using a German title for the book will not only put people off, but they won't get the meaning either, unless they are familiar with German.