1. adamant

adamant Contributing Member Contributor

Trouble Writing...

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by adamant, Dec 8, 2007.

I can't seem to put anything down on paper (or in Word I should say). I don't believe creating ideas for my stories is the problem; the same issue occurs when attempting to revise a story.

When I think about all that I'm trying to do, I never think anything is good enough to continue. However, when I attempt to just write, I'm not inspired and it's harder for me to think of things (or adhere to one when I'm bombarded with potential story arcs).

2. Crimson Threnody

Crimson Threnody Senior Member

You don't always want to force something which isn't there. Try writing exercises or something small and see if that can't help get the juices flowing

3. adamant

I was wondering about some exercises... but I don't really know any.

4. Crimson Threnody

Try old contest prompts? or something of that nature. Something which gives guidelines and work from there.

5. adamant

I think I'd need something even more limited than that...

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You're under a lot of writing pressure right now anyway, starting college this year. That can sap your creativity and your confidence. Moreove, you're probably stressing over not beinng able to call up your creativity, which compound sthe problem.

Get some good rest, veg out for a bit and don't think about the blockage. See if that helps

7. adamant

I really don't think I have a problem with making things up. I did this a few days ago (I also began writing part of the story, though very little, and I momentarily had part of the plot developed):

Thematic Subject: Running Away, Evasion

Edward - Feels that running away from his problems will allow him to live another day, and that is all he desires. Although he wants to punish those that have wronged him, he argues that there is no reason he should die as well.

Fred - Believes that you should never run away from a problem, or you will spend your entire life doing so. Fred attempts to convince Edward to fight and pursue revenge.

George - Uses drugs and depends on the man that killed Edward's girlfriend for the substances (through Alphonse). He considers drugs to help him escape from the world; however, he eventually overdoses. It appears George was once a successful man; he talks of past days.

Alphonse - As an informant of Robert, he serves the position of preventing Edward from escaping once more. Acting as a tenant, he both spies on Edward and deals drugs to George.

Image Mangifestations:

Snowy Weather; Forces peoples to go indoors to protect themselves
    Gunshots; Causes people to fear for their safety and run away
    Ambushes; Running away causes Edward to fail in noticing those sneaking up on him

8. evizaer

evizaer Contributing Member

Even if you hate it, just keep writing. You can always edit it down later, or rewrite parts that really suck. You may think now that your writing is terrible, but going back to it later may show you that it's better than you think!

You can always go back and revise once you've got material: the more material, the better the end result will be.

9. Crimson Threnody

Using something to just push through that barrier is best thing, then editing it later to make it better once you have your inspiration back ^.~

10. adamant

I suppose I'll end up just writing, but it's much harder to do it that way. I don't seem to be all that great of editing... so I guess I'll have to see the outcome.

11. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

Adamant, i have a similar problem as you do. I start off writing and get so far along before deciding that it sounds bad and getting rid of it all. It takes me ages to actually finish a peice. I was doing it with my English creative writing peice right, and begun it again about three times. Then I got in trouble because the dealine was like 2 days so I just had to ignore that I thought it was crap and write. Turned out that when it was finished it sounded quite good (I hope). My advice would just be to keep going with your writing and I bet it'll sound better when you are done.
    Heather

12. kmlovering

kmlovering Senior Member

College and creative writing

Just a word of sympathy. I am also taking college courses, and finding it difficult to switch writing styles. Academic, and then switch gears to creative. It's hard balancing the two, but it's getting easier to keep them separate.