True Evil?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by skulbaka, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Protar

Protar Active Member

But that's part of what I mean: shaking things up so it's different to the usual "destroy the world" spiel.

2. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I've seen a movie or so that actually DID destroy the world, but at the same time, the threat was a natural one and not some crazed villain. I can buy some natural disaster apocalypse over some overpowered kook set on world domination.

3. r3dfoe

r3dfoe Member

Even evil characters have a back story - a kind of history. What makes them tick? Why are they - by other individual's standards - evil? Do they kill ruthlessly, are they morally wrong, sociopathic, or are they just corrupt - tending to only care for themselves?
    There are so many words that play into the word "evil." Contemplate on the character and figure out what it is that makes them "evil" to their world and others. I had to do this do because when I started out my antagonist was just blindly evil for no rhyme or reason. I had to look at her history and reshape it. I then had to create a personality description and play on ideas I had had for her. Like why did she do what she did? What reason(s) makes her do those things? What does she get from the end result? Can she be convinced of another course? If not, why?
    There are a load of questions to ask and only you have the key to those answers. :)

I hope I helped :p

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Every character has a back story - potentially. That doesn't mean it must be paraded before the reader, or even fully defined by the author at any point in time.

How much do you really know about your friends' pasts? Are you sure? Do you feel they are any less real if you don't know all their secrets?

The same holds true for your enemies, acquaintances, random annoyances.

5. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

The "bad guy" of the story is the person who hinders the protagonist's progress or causes him/her to do something about their "bad-guy" - ness. The more believable a crazy or violent character is, the more intimidating they become. Shane from The Walking Dead can be seen as a lunatic, but his actions can also be justified in some way. What makes him scary is the fact that he does whatever he thinks he needs to, regardless of the consequences; in dire times he can "turn off a switch" and suddenly he doesn't care anymore.
    The guilt comes afterwards.

6. r3dfoe

r3dfoe Member

I agree and disagree. How I disagree: I find it interesting when you learn about the antagonist's past. I like to know what makes them tick even it doesn't quite make a load's worth of sense.

How I agree: I don't want to the history of every single member of a freaking antagonist's history. I also don't want to read 12 chapters worth about the antagonist's history. I think the motives for this character or their past should be kept somewhat short - although detailed enough so the reader's can understand - but not eye tiring long. haha.
    Also, sometimes it makes for greater intrigue into an antagonist if you have no idea what brought them about or how they came to be the way they are in the back. Playing on the mysteriousness a little bit is just as intriguing but too much can get annoying.

Quick side note: About the previously mentioned article ^

It all depends on the book, the world, and the characters. Every scenario is different. Every book has a different feel. It really depends on how believable your story is.