Gritty vs. Lighthearted?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2015.
  1. Gritty

42.9%
  2. Lighthearted

57.1%
  1. Elloimellie

Elloimellie New Member

Novel Which do you prefer- a mature novel or a lighthearted one?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Elloimellie, Jun 10, 2015.

Which do you personally prefer? Assuming both novels have the same themes, would you prefer reading a more mature novel that tackles all of these themes head on and is filled with angst, or a lighthearted novel where the themes are tackled more subtly and the tone is more jocular?

2. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

I need a satire option!

3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

Douglas Adams: lighthearted grittiness.

4. ThePhysicist13

ThePhysicist13 Member

I think it depends on how the story is told. For example, a big part of the reason why Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is such a phenomenal book is because Huck's naivete makes for a light-hearted feel while directing the reader's interpretation of it. If some somber, omniscient narrator told the story, it would have probably been like a very long parable, and someone could have written an essay and covered the themes just as well. Without Huck as the narrator, the sombre and ironic moments would lose so much of their impact on the reader.

It also depends a good deal on what you're dealing with thematically, I think, but I personally tend to dislike cheery stories. I prefer stories that make me think in new ways about things I don't really want to think about in my day-to-day life.

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It really depends what these themes are. If the work is about something like torture or rape, I don't think a lighthearted tone is the way to go. It also depends on the writer and what he/she is good at and/or interested in. Some writers, like Dostoevsky or Cormac McCarthy, prefer taking a serious tone (partly due to subject matter), and others prefer a more lighthearted tone.

6. J_Downloading

J_Downloading Member

My favourite aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, an entirely mature novel runs the risk of easily becoming dull and too self-absorbed, while an entirely lighthearted novel often runs the risk of not being grounded enough in reality to hold my interest.

7. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

diary of a wimpy kid. love it.

rincewind31 likes this.
  8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Depends on what my mood is at the time.

9. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

The OP commits the true art is angsty fallacy.

EdFromNY and J_Downloading like this.
  10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'm not sure about just those two choices I mean take Breakfast of Champions - it's lighthearted but I wouldn't call it jocular - in it's own way it's gritty and mature. Plus I could call Mickey Spillane gritty -don't know about mature. Lol.
    This really depends on the author, their style, their take on gritty and lighthearted and most important - what the subject is.

11. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

Oh gosh, I've been doing both in mine.

Nicoel likes this.
  12. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I prefer grit for the most part. I prefer that a novel explore the reality of life on earth, and the gritty novels are more likely to do so. I'm a huge fan of Hemingway because he captured the human condition better than pretty much everyone.

13. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

Probably gritty for the most part, but every now and then I gotta take a break from that.

14. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

And that's usually my favorite!

My mood changes in phases. I go through phases where I want gritty, down to earth, meat on the bones, and there's phases where I just want to laugh and forget that one day every single one of us is going to die.

Usually though, my favorite all time books and authors incorporate both in their works.

Ussaid likes this.
  15. Ussaid

Ussaid Member

Now that's dark

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Depends on what I'm into, to be honest. Sometimes I like gritty stuff, other times I just want to kick back and enjoy an easy, light-hearted read.

17. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Senior Member

That's the best way to do it IMO, you don't want the whole book to be one long gritty haul... there has to be humour injected into it, or light heartedness. It makes the book more turbulent, it makes the grittiness more depressing, it makes the jovial parts more of a relief. Just as action needs to be calmed, so darkness needs to be assuaged.

18. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Sometimes I want a easy going lighthearted read other times it's a horror novel kinda time.... until I get some lose cash and restock mt have-not-read-yet-pile, it's going to be between rereading classics i loved reading to my son at night.

19. Vellidragon

Vellidragon Member

I prefer reading things that don't make me even more depressed than reality does. Ideally, they should at the very least be optimistic enough to make me want to be in that world.

20. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

I like a full bodied mature that sinks its hooks into me. ;)

21. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm chuckling, thinking about Heller's Catch-22, which I found to be hysterically funny the first time I read it, extremely bitter the second time and philosophical the third time.

22. mg357

mg357 Active Member

lighthearted

23. TiffanyAnne

TiffanyAnne New Member

Lighthearted for moi. Currently, I've latched onto books that transport me to any other world but the one I'm living in. So, for that reason, I probably wouldn't go with anything gritty, only because real life kind of sucks right now and I get enough of the gritty from watching the news.

24. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Depends on my mood. It's the same was as picking a movie to watch or game to play - sometimes you wanna just watch some stand-up and laugh, sometimes you wanna sob violently and throw something across the room in despair, right? Or just have something to watch in the background, something to occupy your time or help you chill out to get to sleep. Different tones for different times. That said I voted 'lighthearted' because for a while now I've disallowed myself from watching/reading/playing anything I know is gonna be super depressing and angsty for mental health reasons, to be honest. It's effected what I want to write, too, and I think that's been a positive change.