Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Trump, Hillary, and Mocking the Disabled

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Link the Writer, Aug 2, 2016.

At work, we keep the TV on and running and every so often a Clinton campaign ad will appear. This is the common one:

Basically, it talks about how our children are watching while showing Trump making fun of disabled people. This occurs just after it shows him commenting about how he wouldn't lose voters even if he shot a guy in the crowd.

As a disabled guy (half-blind and mostly deaf) this got me curious, so I went on Youtube and apparently Trump mocked a news reporter that had a shriveled up arm. Other videos claimed this was false and all made up. I found this video of Trump responding to it:

Starting at 3:50, he says he'd never make fun of handicapped people, that it wasn't in his vocabulary before going off on Hillary about her ad. So, um... did he? On a related note, did Hillary ever mock the disabled/crack jokes about them? I'm both curious and kind of confused.

:confuzled:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  2. Earp

Earp Active Member

I get a little creeped out every time any politician starts jabbering about 'the children'. I think Trump was mocking the disabled man in question, but no one has ever claimed that Trump has any sort of filter between his brain and his mouth. Shameful, but a little better, I think, than a candidate who does have such a filter but seems incapable of telling the truth, even if kids the age of those in the campaign ad aren't old enough to understand what a pathological liar is.

Link the Writer likes this.
  3. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

In my opinion, Link, this is just one more peice of evidence suggesting that most people are not so much compassionate as they are suggestive. If the media tells you that racism is bad and Trump is a racist, that's what they focus on. And while, as far as I understand, the media did make a big deal out of Trump mocking the reporter, right after it happened, as they do with evrything Trump does, I think it's pretty obvious that most people focus much more on Trump's "racism" than they do on his "ableism," and honestly, I think that's just sad.

Trump's statement about immigrants from Mexico, while not super nice, has been taken out of proportion. Trump certainly never said Mexicans were rapists, but rather stated that the U.S. is getting a lot of rapists from Mexico, this was in support of his anti immigration stance and his desire for a wall.

His mockery of the reporter, on the other hand, was a crystal clear display of contempt for the handicapped, with no other motive than to be disrespectful and mean. If there was anything Trump ever did that I think was wrong, it was his mockery of the reporter.

To take this further, people get mad at immigrants because they feel like they take their jobs. People get mad at Muslims, because they fear for their safety. (I don't agree with either of these but there are motivations for both). People make fun of the disabled because they are cruel.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Yeah, it's easy to kick around someone who looks physically or mentally different from you. :( And I mean ability wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.