1. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Trying a different style

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Garball, Jun 17, 2013.

For my first MS I was completely organized. I had outlines, notes, character bios– all I had to do was flesh out the ideas. The MS I recently started is not so organized. I wrote a brief synopsis, but mainly I'm just working out of my head, writing one chapter at a time and not necessarily in a sequential order only knowing basically what the story is. When I am done, I will place the chapters in the 'best' order and then make sure they are tied together properly.
    Has anybody else composed a MS in a similar fashion?

2. erebh

erebh Contributing Member Contributor

really, so you just write random stories and hope to connect them later?

How do you follow timelines and who did what when you write chapters in random order?

Interesting...

3. Garball

Um...I don't know yet

4. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Don't listen to Erebh. You write however you want to write!

I've tried several ways of writing. I started with outlining, then the snowflake. I like the snowflake method of writing, I just tend to get distracted easily. So I'll start writing the story then come up with a good idea, so then I'll go back and change everything that I had previously written.. It just gets confusing. So for this most recent story, I decided to just wing it. And that's what I've been doing. I had a basic setting, a solid character, and an idea for a story. I'm letting the rest "write itself," if you will. The less I think about it, the easier it comes. I think it's refreshing to change things up from time to time!

And I've actually heard that some people write the end first then the beginning last. It doesn't matter how you write the chapters, just as long as it makes sense in the end. I even understand the desire to write out of order. I've thought about it on numerous occasions, but my brain doesn't have the capacity to do that. I'd confuse myself. lol But often times, I'll get stuck in one chapter because I don't know how to move ahead when all I want to do is write this other scene that I've been dying to write. Who knows, maybe I'll get that a shot some day. :p

Keep moving forward!!

Blessings,
    Lea

5. Juju Bagdasarian

Juju Bagdasarian Member

I was tought that there are three kinds of writers.

1. The kind that writes everything in the spark of the moment.
    2. The one that have pre-organized pre-thought of everything before begining.
    3. And the one that has half an idea but reviews it at the end
    I find all equally exciting i dont think that you gonna have much of problem as long as you review and and fix it :)

6. erebh

Excuse me? I asked a civil question to a fellow senior member and he replied honestly. Do you have a problem with that?

7. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I have a mixed bag of both. Scenes don't always come to me in the order of my outline and some scenes show up without knowing where they fit. I don't turn those scenes away just because they showed up at the wrong time or without any appointment at all. I write them. I have a scene I'm writing as we speak where my MC has a major breakdown. I have no idea where it will go yet, but I started imagining it and figured better to write it and discover it has no place than not to write and need it later when my muse is busy elswhere. Scrivener makes it really easy for me to keep tabs on everything, even the "tab-less" items. Important to note that when I say scene, I mean scene, not chapter. Chapters for me have a clear body, but never a clear head or tail from the start. They grow/absorb/subsume/exude, those later in my process.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm always interested when people say they don't write their stories sequentially because I've found that, as I write about my characters, they change subtly (partly because they are affected by the events in which you portray them, and partly because the more you write about them, the more aspects tend to occur to you about them) so that by the time I catch up to the part I wrote out of sequence, it no longer fits and I have to do massive revisions.

My first four novels (none published) were written without outlines, just "going wherever the story takes you". That works for some writers, but I find that a lot depends on the type of story you are writing. My current project is a historical novel, and it just isn't possible to write something like that without detailed planning.

9. erebh

If unrelated ideas come to me mid-chapter I write them down in my notebook for later use then promptly forget.

Periodically I'll look through my notebook and say, "Ah yeah, I forgot about that..." :(

10. Garball

It's actually working well for me so far. The MC is court ordered to see a therapist after beating somebody into a coma. Of course a lot of information is going to be given in the therapy sessions (I know. Members are going to crucify me for being cliche). But, it is the days between the session that consist of the main plot building to the climax. I am writing the action sequence at the same time as the therapy sessions. Each chapter is roughly telling a story, some being present and a key one being in the past. Hopefully I can juxtapose the chapters at the end for the best flow.

11. erebh

I'm not. People may say it's a gadget, like a diary entry. I think if it works for Tony Soprano it can work for you, as long as the dialogue between patient and doctor is engaging. Don't be afraid of what others think as much as you may respect their intention or view.

12. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm always amazed when people criticize an idea as cliché. My attitude is, write it and we'll see.