1. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Horror - who is Freddie

Discussion in 'Horror' started by Trilby, Jun 16, 2011.

I'm not into 'horror' it gives me nightmares, so I avoid it.

However, a story I am writing is about Halloween and I am mentioning a Freddie outfit. I don't just want to say 'he was wearing a Freddie outfit and mask' I want to be more precise, so:

Who is Freddie?

Does he have a surname?

and what movie is he from?

Mainly it's his surname I need for my writing. The other Qs are for my own understanding of the subject,:eek:

Thanks in advance.

2. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Frederick Charles "Freddy" Krueger is a character from the Nightmare on Elm Street series of horror films. Awesome films. Especially the first one (Young Johnny Depp, squee!) He basially goes into your nightmares, and whatever injury is inflicted on you in the dreams happen in real life as well. Also if you die.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trilby

Thank you, spklvr. That's what I needed to know.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

You don't know who Freddie Krueger is? Next your going to tell me you don't know who Michael Myers is.

5. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

No problem. Finally my love of horror movies comes to use :p
    And I don't think it's that uncommon to not know who Freddy is.

6. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I got night-terrors as a child from The Sixth Sense. The part with the girl who was vomiting or whatever was the worst. Scared the living crap out of me.
    To be honest, though, if you want to refer to it in dialogue instead, you could get away with a character saying, "Hey, nice Freddy costume." That is something that you could most definitely get away with.

Yeah, if you're into that sort of thing. Which you obviously are. I'm not.

... You mean MIKE (I've never heard him referred to as Michael) Myers? As in Austin Powers/Shrek?

If it's a different person, well, I've never heard of him.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jonp

Jonp New Member

He's another horror movie baddie. I would say less well known than Freddie or Jason (Friday the 13th). If he were played by Mike Myers though, that would make a more interesting film.

1 person likes this.
  8. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

As spklvr said, Freddy kill you in your dream. However, there is far more too him than that. Freddy Krueger was a pedophile who kidnapped children and killed them, often using his "trademark" razorblade glove. The cops finally caught him, but had to release him due to a technical error. This upset the parents quite a bit, so they tracked him down and burned him alive. It should have been the end, but Freddy found a way to come back from the dead and haunt the children of the people who killed him in their dreams. (the children of Elm Street basically, but he later said "every town has an Elm Street" and went on a rampage.) He still wears his glove, as well as the "Freddy outfit" you mentioned. It's basically just an old sweater with red and green strips as well as an old fedora. But since he's in your dreams, he can kill you pretty much literally however he wants. He once turned a woman into an insect and squashed her, so you get the idea. Interestingly he was dragged into the real world in the first movie, then they forgot about it until the sixth movie when they killed him off for good by dragging him into the real world. Weird, huh. And yes, Freddy is the start of the "Nightmare on Elm Street"-movies. But he also had a tv-series called "Freddy's Nightmares" that was basically ripping off "Tales from the crypt" and all those series. Plus, he has been in several comic books, and there are even several books based on him and Elm Street.

As for Michael Meyers, he's a weirdo. He killed his sister for no apparent reason when he was just a kid, then sat still in a mental institution for 15 years (and I mean barely moved), then escaped and somehow had gotten superstrength and immortality in the process. The only explanation we have is "I've looked into his eyes, and all I saw was pure evil. The human side of him died a long time ago." Whatever that means.

And then there's Jason Voorhees from Friday 13th. Most people say he drowned when he was a young boy, so his mother went on a rampage to get revenge. When she was killed, Jason rose from the grave to get revenge. This is wrong. Jason indeed almost drowned when he was a kid, and yes, his mother went on a rampage to get revenge. But Jason survived and lived in the forest until he was a grown man, and he didn't die until the fourth Friday 13th-movie, and he didn't turn into a zombie until the sixth. ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. Trilby

I don't have a 'scooby'.:redface:

10. Trilby

Thanks for your help Writer dude, but a bit too much info for me, I'm already starting to freak-out.:eek:

The thing is I write, what I class as crime stories, but my 'adult' children tell me that what I write is horror stories.:confused:

Yet, I can't watch horror films or read horror books, I suppose when I write it myself, I know it's ----, when someone else writes it, I don't know what to make of it.

11. Trilby

Thanks to everyone for their help.

12. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

Freddy don't mess with me, I pack heat in my dreams.

I was chased in a dream once, got tired of runnning flipped over a rock and pulled out a stub nose .38 and shot the person chasing me...dream over, I win.:p

13. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Michael Myers is the dude from the "Halloween" movies, for anyone who doesn't know.

14. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Hehe, you can say it. I'm a nerd. :D

15. Sundae

Sundae New Member

You don't know Freddie? :eek:

lol, j/k. I really don't like the horror genre in pretty much any medium. Movies, books, songs for various reasons but The Nightmare On Elm Street movies are really the only movies that I do like. Only one that have manged to entertain me, everything else fails.

16. IfAnEchoDoesntAnswer

IfAnEchoDoesntAnswer New Member

Once saw an interview where the actor said he (sometime in the 80s) set off just about every alarm in a Canadian airport when an x-ray scan showed the glove in his luggage. He spent an hour and a half trying to explain that it was a "theatrical prop", not a "murder weapon". They finally found someone on the security staff who recognized him & was familiar with the movies (and who doubtless found the entire thing absolutely hilarious.).

17. Trilby

Thanks for answering post Guys.

18. Devlin Blake

Devlin Blake New Member

There's a lot of different kinds of 'horror' out there. It's not all all gore and evisceration. Ask yourself the following questions:

Does Your Story Have..
    • A loss of control over the character’s life
    • A fear of the unknown
    • An overall feeling of dread
    If the answer to these three questions is yes, then it's probably horror. Both Hitchcock and The Twilight Zone were considered 'horror' back in their day. (Today, they are usually considered something else.) I call these types of crossovers 'hidden horror.'

My favorite example of this is the Funhouse by Dean Koontz, it's listed as 'Thriller,' but it's clearly horror.