Trying to Avoid a Prologue. Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kammygirl, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

I recommend the 'move forward' approach. Explain things as they become important to the characters and the current plot situation. Some background info here and there adds up quick.

2. MrWisp

MrWisp Member

Hi Kammy. I felt the need to respond because I just struggled for quite a while with what sounds like practically the same exact situation. My main character's entire story arc stems from the actions of one of his distant ancestors. Initially, I began with a prologue. Two things happened. First, the prologue ended up being too long. While I have nothing against prologues, I didn't want to spend too much time with a character who wouldn't be carrying the story. Second, readers to whom I gave the draft simply felt that the first chapter was more engaging than the backstory in the prologue, so I decided that I would need to rethink things.

I like the dream/nightmare idea, depending upon the genre. Regardless of genre, dreams are great for foreshadowing, but in my opinion, exposition in dreams is better left to supernatural/fantasy stories. I solved my problem with a multi-pronged approach. I used dreams/visions a bit, but I also identified a character to act as somewhat of an historian...someone whom the main character could rely upon to fill in the blanks regarding his ancestor's past. A third method might be the idea of artifacts like letters that can tell a story. A letter or other piece of writing can be a good catalyst for leaving the main story for a bit.

3. mikeinseattle

mikeinseattle Member

I like the letters idea. :)