1. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Mermaid Myths that aren't present much in modern folklore.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lorddread, May 12, 2011.

Anyone know of any? Like some myths speak of them being repelled by the sound of church bells, or that they can brew various concoctions, (not sure how that works since logically any liquid compounds would just dilute into nothing underwater) the Chinese believe that they're tears become priceless pearls and jewels.

2. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Isn't there something in Greek mythology about the Sirens being mermaids? And how they would draw men into whirlpools with their songs and beauty?

3. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Actually the sirens were more like bird women.

4. DeNile

DeNile New Member

According to the internet they've been portrayed as both. LAter on they were seen as mermaids, but in the beginning they were birds.

5. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So any myths about appearence? Aside from the obvious.

6. DeNile

DeNile New Member

In Greek and Roman mythology? They were a mixture of women, birds and fish. They could have tails or claws, usually wings, mostly hawk or falcon, and the face of a woman and the voice of a bird. They tended to be covered in a mixture of scales and feathers, the reason they hid in the rocks was because they were ugly. Amazing what you learn in Mythology class, huh?

7. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

I met mermaids. Interesting though.

8. DeNile

DeNile New Member

Whoops... sorry!

9. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Socially? Or did you just bump into one on the way to the bathroom? Because I "met" Bill Cosby that way once, but we didn't really get to know each other after that.

Anyhow, not sure where it originated, but sailors used to see animals like manatees and common harbor seals and would call them mermaids. I'm sure being on the same boat surrounded by men and access to grog had a lot to do with why these creatures had the bodies of women.

10. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Ultra typo!:eek: I mean't um mean't. Sorry, also any myths related to the concept of mermaids mating with humans?

11. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I think in Japanese folklore there is a creature similar to a mermaid. If you eat its flesh you gain immortality or something.

12. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

That is more of a fish with a human head though.

13. Kio

Kio New Member

Where did you get this information?? How can I get my hands on it???

As for merpeople myths in fiction, though I haven't read such a thing yet (at least in a book that came out in the last decade), I'm sure the concept has popped up at some point in a modern book. Even then, it's up to you to use what you know based on mermaids and twist it to your liking, thus making it seem "new" and/or unusual. You can even make up your own myths. I do that sometimes if I run out of ideas.

14. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Just google Japanese mermaid or ningyo. Essentially, it is a human head stuck on the body of a fish. Eating its flesh made a person immortal. However, catching the ningyo brought bad luck. Finding it washed up on shore was seen as an omen for war.

15. Lilithmoon

Lilithmoon New Member

I read somewhere (sorry can't remember the source) that when a mermaid would spy a man (usually a sailor) that she found attractive she would lure him into the water with either her looks or voice and take him to her watery lair. Apparently, she had the ability to grant them the ability to breathe water with her kiss. She would then keep him there mating with him until he eventually died. I'm not sure if he died from hunger, exposure or exhaustion. But I'm pretty sure he died happy. :)

16. Vintage

Vintage New Member

There's always the Scandinavian creature named Nøkken or Näcken. Plays musical instruments masterfully in order to lure people to him. He would also teach musicians his skills, but they would be so enchanted by their own playing that they would play until they grew insane. The Scottish Kelpie is a horse-like creature that stands at the edge of the water and makes people ride on its back. Once they are mounted, they cannot escape and are dragged to a watery grave.