1. Safety Turtle

Safety Turtle Senior Member

Turtle's writing "diary"

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Safety Turtle, Sep 30, 2016.

Because all the cool kids are doing it!

Okay, so I'm only really working on one project at the moment which is my first novel.

Currently the working title is Mortem: Crow's Call (not entirely satisfied with it, but that's it for now) and the rough draft of the first chapter can be found here: http://www.writingforums.org/threads/mortem-crows-call-chapter-1-1943-words.148552/

And actually, now that I think about it, it's a pretty insane thing I'm doing.
    I've never actually written a lot, just a bit in primary school (which was assignments) and a few 1 page fan fiction short stories.
    I've never attempted anything of this magnitude and I think it's starting to scare me a bit as it's completely unknown territory for me.

I am enjoying the progress though and I'm starting to think about it constantly, especially what my next step is, etc.

So not going to make a lot of promises for deadlines etc, like I said, this is my first attempt at a novel so wanna treat this more like a diary of sorts.

Today, I'm sitting at 3723 words, which is over three times as many as I've written in one story.
    I've also finally found a name for my main character, Ehrhart, I dunno why, it just seems to fit him well.

Right, first entry in my writing "diary", hope you'll find it somewhat interesting ^^

cydney likes this.
  2. Safety Turtle

So I've hit my first real writers block, which is kind of frustrating.
    I know what needs to happen but I just have trouble getting it on "paper" in a way that I'm happy with.

I'm also juggeling a few different ideas for an overall plot, as always, trying to avoid fantasy cliches (no farmboy with secret magical powers here).

I'm also getting a bit worried about my storytelling as a whole.
    Without patting myself on the back too much, I think I've created a rather unique and interesting fantasy world but I'm afraid that I won't be able to do it justice through my story telling and that it will just end up feeling like a waste of a good setting.
    This is of course still early days, so much can change yet.

I am over 4000 words now though, so making progress ^^

3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributing Member

What I encountered when I wrote my novel is a TON of ups and downs. A certified roller coaster journey. It was bi-polar almost because every day I'd feel differently about the novel and my ability to write it. I'm letting it sit on my hard drive for a while, now, because I have a lot of other shit going on in my life but I know that in revision, I'm capable of making it decent.

My point is to not let your internal editor bring you down. Keep writing, every day, no matter what. Even if you think it sucks, keep going. You can always edit the manuscript.

4. Safety Turtle

It is very much a challenging experience, mostly in good ways though.

Ironically after I posted that I went and wrote some 4-500 words in one sitting ^^

5. Safety Turtle

So, the last couple of days I've had some second thoughts about my first chapter and gotten some new ideas for the start of the novel.
    I'm considering having the main character wake up in the middle of a small battlefield, alone, with rotting corpses of men and horses around him, only half remembering who he was and where he is, knowing very little of what has happened to the rest of the world.
    Seeing as the main character is, practically undead, this would have been the first time he died (which is why everyone else around him are rotting away and he's not), so it's a sort of rebirth I guess...and the idea was that the reader would discover the strangeness of the world through his eyes as he himself learn what is going on.

I feel this is sort of cliche though...sort of like starting a movie or book with a character that has amnesia.

I could certainly use what I've already written later in the story (or maybe even as the start of the second book, if that ever happens).

Guess I'm filled with a bit of doubt at the moment.