Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Yeah. The thing to remember for those that are skeptic about the movie is that it is an adaptation of the movie, not the book on screen. Since the book was in First Person, it's almost completely impossible to give the same emotion the screen that was in the book because we can't see what she is thinking. lol - The whole, "Based on the ____".

2. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Yeah, exactly. But I wish they would do the whole "based on the____" more like an "Almost exactly the same because everyone likes it that way_____" but i can see where that might be difficult. But why bother changing the story when it's right there in front of you? It's almost like cheating on a project. Like you're having someone else do the writing part while you do the fun putting-it-together-and-making-a-movie part. And I'm not to thrilled w/ Robert What's-his-face being Edward. Edward is supposed to be attractive! And Kristen Stewart looks too confident for Bella. You can see why I was a bit worried about the movie, it's more the actors that portray the characters than anything, but then again, I never would have been able to find anyone else...and everyone seems too old! Alice is supposed to be younger!

Okay, I'm done with the whining, I just had to get it out. But yes, it would be very difficult to put a movie into first person, now that I think about it. That would be interesting.

-Alex

3. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I just saw the trailer for the film of Twilight. I dislike the book and the trailer only hightens that feeling.

4. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

What didn't you like about the book?

5. juniofegalon

juniofegalon New Member

I just saw the trailer and, matter-of-factly, I got angry because I mean... EDWARD FLIES!!! and he's not supposed to do that... none of the scenes in the trailer are in the right place... when they're at his house they're supposed to be in the meadow... when they're in the meadow, they're supposed to be in the car on the way back from Port Angeles!!?!!?!?!?! What is up with taking good books and making AwFuL movies out of them?!?!?!???!

Sorry, I had to vent :)

6. Oasis Writer

It's not flying, it's the "Jumps." If you follow Anne Rice's vampire stories, or maybe even just watching Blade, or 30 Days of Nights, it says they have highened strengths, and all that. Jumping is one of them.

7. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

I can't wait for the new movie!! I saw the teaser trailer and was so impressed with Rob Pattinson! I detested the idea of him messing up the perfect image of Edward in my head but the more I see him in the trailer, the more I'm started to accept that he could potentially be Edward.

Ahem, and the crooked smile he comes up with at the end of the trailer...*faints*

The books are amazing. I never wanted to read them but my sister forced me to and I still remember the first night I started Twilight, I couldn't put it down until I was exhausted and couldn't read another word.

New moon was the weakest, I never really liked Bella but I loathed her behavior in New Moon, it was too much whining. I mean, she's known the guy for six months and she talks about ending her life for him..she's only 18. I thought it was a bit strange. I feel Jacob's character was Meyer's saving grace for New moon, he was a pleasure to read. Although in Eclipse, his behavior in the end seemed immature and completely manipulative...which is an accurate portrayal of your average 16 year old boy.

Can't wait for Breaking Dawn!

8. Oasis Writer

August 2nd :D I'm looking forward to Breaking Down too.

I never liked Jacob Black.

9. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I understand completely. I nearly blew up when I saw that. I wanted to kill the trailor. He's close enough to flying that I wanted to smack him! And I really wanted the Port Angeles part in there! I love when he ignores the waitress, it's one of the best parts! I'm way more exited for Breaking Dawn! Only 78 more days! I'm so exited!

-Alex

10. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Me neither. He was good as a sweet 15 year old kid in Twilight. Not a huge part, besides telling Bella about Edward in the first place, but not like the idiot of a dog he is now. Edward is much more of a beast!

-Alex

11. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

Lol. I disagree completely. Without Jacob, Bella wouldn't be alive. I'm referring to the part when she jumps of the cliff and Edward wasn't there to save her because he had abandoned her. I'm not on team Jacob but I do feel like he's the most realistic character. Bella hardly sounds like a 18 year old girl and Edward struggles to be the perfect boyfriend. . . which is part of the reason why he is so insecure around Jacob, because part of him feels like Jacob is better (or should I say healthier) for Bella. Jacob is like a breath of fresh air amidst Edward and Bella's melodrama. I can understand Edward's behavior because he's been living for over a hundred years but Bella hardly seems like a teenager. I'm sorry but I dislike Bella, she leads Jacob on while Edward is away and once Edward returns, she ignores him completely. Personally, Edward and Jacob hold the series together. Can't wait for Midnight Sun. I do love Edward but I definately don't dislike Jacob. I guess I'm one of the few who is in between Team Jacob and Team Edward.

12. Oasis Writer

I think my biggest issue with Jacob Black was in Eclipse, where he gave off the new type of persona that he could "have it his way, every time, anytime." It reminded me of the same attitude the Harry Potter had in the Fifth Book, as well as Anakin Skywalker in the Second Book. They were very whiny and demanding. It made the overall appeal of the character very harsh and unlikeable, for me.

13. Mousie

Mousie New Member

I haven't finished Twilight. I can't. All my friends keep talking about how "cool" Edward is, but I just wanna punch him in the weener! I kinda like Jacob, though.

And what's this I keep hearing about Jacob becoming a total douche? He was such a sweetheart in Twilight - what happened?

14. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

Yay, someone who doesn't hate Jacob! He doesn't become a complete douche in Eclipse. Don't want to ruin things for you so, just finish reading all three and then we can talk. All I can say is, Jacob makes New Moon worth reading. . . so hurry up and finish twilight! :p

15. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Yes, Jacob does save Bella's life in New Moon. But, in Eclipse he really does get all whiny and thinks everything is about him, like Oasis Writer said. New Moon was okay because he was helping Bella. And I agree that she isn't a completely realistic 18 year old. But she's close enough.

I can't wait for Midnight Sun either. There's a ton of stuff we have to wait for...The Twilight movie, Breaking Dawn, Midnight Sun...if Meyer ever desides to publish Midnight Sun...I hope she does.

-Alex

16. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

True, he does whine in Eclipse but I endured Bella's whining throughout New Moon and Eclipse so it didn't seem so bad. He just seems more dependable and someone Bella can fall back on, no matter what. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in Breaking Dawn and Midnight Sun will be published. :)

17. Oasis Writer

She was also working on a story that was based puring on Bree's point of view, after she had finished Midnight Sun.

18. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Bree's point of view? That would be interesting...she's such a small part of the story. And she ends up getting killed. Hmmm....At least we would get to know what it feels like to be torn up and burned...that sounds like fun.

-Alex

19. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

Most of you probably know this but I just thought I should reinforce it. May 31st: A special edition of Eclipse is releasing which holds the cover art for Breaking Dawn along with an excerpt (Ch. 1?) So excited to see the cover art! but I'm a little worried about the chapter. I remember reading chapter one of New Moon and it was such a cliffhanger!

20. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I know that the first thing I do on May 31st is walk into Borders and read the bit of Breaking Dawn in the back of Eclipse. I would buy it, but I already have it...

-Alex

21. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

I love the series so far, and can't wait to jump right into the last book.

I loved the complexity between Jacob and Edwards relationship in Eclipse. What i also love is the whole soulmate thing that is going on. Jacob is her soul mate if she was entierly human (which i think will be a big part of the plot in her last book, her not being entierly human I mean) and Edward being her soulmate for the part that has never been entierly human.
    It's like she is trying to convey diffrent levels of love develope to diffrent levels of humanity.

if that makes any sense at all.

I love the cuteness between Edward and Bella. But i think that is mostly because my boyfriend is just like Edward. Very old fashioned, a gentleman and annoyingly over-protective and sweet.

22. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I would so love to have my own Edward. I think it would be okay having someone overprotective. They would always be there.

-Alex

23. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

I love the way my boyfriend does that.
    He's the sort of guy who will give you his jacket if it even starts to rain or will make you stand on the inside of the pavement when the road is wet so he'll be splashed not you.

24. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I would too, but I think my husband might mind just a little bit ;)

I picked up the book on a whim a few weeks ago and had the entire series read in three days. I think they're excellent books and I actually think that the characters are quite well developed. Love the Bella/Edward adorableness too :)

25. Ocheel

Ocheel New Member

Ive read twilight, and the second one (moonlight?) and I loved every moment of them. Though i regret to say, I cant say that in real life. If i say I love these books to my friends, id be laughed at. Tis girly beyond belief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.