Twilight vs Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by colorthemap, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wait a minute. Why did you start a thread called 'Twilight vs. Harry Potter' and say "Twilight will be gone in 10 years" if you haven't actually read Twilight?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The hate of the work is irrational. It's rooted more in some emotional resentment of the success of the book than anything about the work itself. It's really the only explanation for the level of vitriol. And I'm speaking in general terms, not about any other forum member in particular.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Agreed. That, and tribalism. Hard-core Harry Potter fans tend to be very defensive against criticism of any kind about Potter or Rowling while being more than happy to point out flaws in things like Twilight or anything else like that. It is almost like football fans really.

I'm not talking about any one member either but it's something I've noticed, and I find it really irritating.

4. Steerpike

Yeah, I like the analogy. It's a lot like football fans. And can you believe the U.S. lost the bloody world cup to Japan in penalty kicks. *grumbles*

5. Heather

Heather New Member

I would like to point this out that it happens with various things - Twilight fans can also be as stubborn in their defense/support of it, and people can do it with almost anything, for example football, any other sport, television programmes, political views.

Just saying, it's not just the Potter fans who can be unrelenting in their support. Likewise, many Potter fans have logical reasons for liking them, and many people have reasons for liking Twilight, not just jelousy. :)

6. Steerpike

That's true too. I think it is fair to say that both Rowling and Meyer have done something incredible in terms of success as storytellers. And Rowling to an even greater extent when it comes to success.

Seems to me aspiring writers should be pleased to see that such things can happen.

7. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

I have never read it(that is why i asked opinions[well at least part of the reason.]), I meant it was not as "timeless" as Harry Potter, 10 years that I think is generous. It is like Eragon, most people who read it don't notice the flaws so much of it goes unnoticed.

I'm sure there are other paranormal romances that are better written. As there are alternatives to The Harry Potter Series.(that seems biased the way I spelled it out doesn't it :D)

8. Steerpike

Do you mean the imply that most of the readers are stupid? I disagree. Most of the people I know who really liked the series are extremely bright and well-educated.

9. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

No I mean most of them are kids who read it for the story, and can forget the writing style.

10. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Haha, i read 2 pages of Eragon and hated it. Normally i give books a chance, but i looked into it and it's a big mess. I will admit Brisinger (3rd Eragon book) is a little better with plot and charcter development. (I looked into it ;) )

11. hyperchord24

hyperchord24 Member

Are they somehow "wrong" for ignoring the writing style? And what if adults forget the writing style? Are they wrong too? Enjoying a book is extremely subjective. I'm so sick of people trashing Twilight. It's a book and lots of people read it. It makes them neither unintelligent nor sheep-like. Get over it.

12. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Did I ever say it was a bad thing? When you gudge a book you judge it on all features and I just think many people forget about all of the parts of a good novel.

13. Steerpike

Most people I know who liked it are adults, and most of them are well-read and well educated. Overall, the population is probably more teens, but teen readers aren't stupid. I agree with what you say here. And the idea that the people who enjoy the book do so simply because they can't see the flaws in it sounds like a bunch of condescending nonsense to me.

I'll also add this: if you write a story that people are so engaged in when reading it that they don't notice the technical aspects of the writing, then you've done something very right.

14. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Exactly I'm envious of both women.