1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

If I finish my tale, then what?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by DeathandGrim, Feb 25, 2013.

I'm working on the first story to my series and I just realized something: I'm broke and have no fanbase

I'm not new to writing, matter of fact like most people I've been writing stories ever since I learned how to write sentences. But more recently I've really been concentrating on finishing my work on the series, but then that's the sticking point! What do I do next after that? Post it online?

2. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Depends on what you want, you could post it online or you could publish it someday, now publishing a series as a first time writer is harder than publishing a single book, so some writers keep it and writer other stuff that might have better chance to be published and if they get lucky, then bring out the stuff they wrote before to their agent and see what else can be published now that you have some reputation.
    Dont want to get your hopes up we all are in the same boat here, we have to get used to the idea we might never get a chance to be published but that dont mean we would stop writing, after all we can always pass it on to our kids or grandkids some day

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Are you talking about publishing a collection of short stories? If you are, realize that selling a short story collection is tough, and you're much better off submitting each story individually to magazines. After you submit the first one, start writing the second.

4. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Its more like a novel series really I would make it into a comic book series

but I hate the fact that if I put all this time into creating this series, characters, worlds, etc it may be for nothing in a sense

5. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Its not for nothing every book you finish is more experience under your belt, no one writes the first book and gets it published no one is that good, even published writers had to write couple of training books. You didnt start to run once you learned to walk so why would you look at this differently. Everyone writes and learns to write but its not the same as completing couple of novels or short stories with each you learn and see were you made mistakes in the first one.
    The first book you finish is gonna be the worse thing you write, but thats ok it has its purpose.

p.s. series are hard and would advice do first couple of short stories

6. Piankhy

Piankhy Member

Lol, I was actually suscribed to a guy on youtube who was like that. Felt like he was writing for nothing and nobody would ever read his stuff. Well I followed his videos from 2010 untill now and I saw when he went from begging on youtube for someone to give him a shot, to when he held up his published book with a smile last year. Keep writing and stay motivated.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

The first book should be able to stand on its own, not be dependent on anyone reading the second (or rest) of the series. Now, being broke has nothing to do with publishing unless you intend to self-publish, and even then it is possible to self-publish without spending a great deal of money. And having a fanbase is helpful, but most new writers don't have one.

So I would suggest working on the first book, polishing it and making sure it's the best you can do, and then decide which publication route you feel would work best for you and your book.

8. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

Just a little question, why do so many of the aspiring writers on this forum start off by writing whole series?

9. Bimber

Bimber New Member

Its not just on this forum but almost every writer starts by thinking of writing a series, we like to think big and why should our writing be any less. You dont know how much something is complicated till you try it and see the project is much bigger than you were ready to handle, too many mistakes can be made in a series than in a single novel, like you want to change something or add something in book 3 and you like it but for it to make sense you would need to rewrite a chapter in book 1.

10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. New Member

Go ahead and work on getting it published! Most new writers have little to no fanbase, and self publishing doesn't take a massive amount of money. And even if you choose not to publish it, every story you finish is a bit more experience that you have earned. Writing is never for nothing. And I'm sure there are people who would love to read your novels if given a chance. Publishing may be difficult, but it's not impossible, and you won't know what other opportuinities await if you don't try!

-J.A.K. O.U.T.