Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKB

HKB New Member

Twitter?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HKB, Mar 10, 2009.

Anyone on Twitter? I need Friends. My username is "snatchbuffet". Add me!

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

What is a twitter? I have heard someone say that before...and I know it is on the internet. Is it like another facebook?

3. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

It's like a blog. The deal is that it should be less than ~300 words and you post a lot. I didn't like it, really. Also, you can see other peoples submissions and get people to follow you, etc.

4. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

You have "Followers". Talk about catering to the ego.

5. HKB

HKB New Member

Of course I do, I'm amazing.

6. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

From what I can tell, Twitter is more of a company-based social site, while Facebook is more of a friend-based social site. For instance, a lot of my coworkers use Twitter to follow the New York Times. I know Nike has Twitter; a lot of music bands now use Twitter.

Apparently it's faster than Facebook to share news, however, from what I've been told, Facebook just changed it's policy to display 'pages' on Facebook more prominantely and will change the status updates from "what are you doing right now" to "what's on your mind right now?" <-- It's supposed to be a marketing move; if Facebook cant buy Twitter, they'll try to beat it.

I know this because my company's debating between putting up a Twitter or a Facebook page. *shrug*

I dont Twitter, myself.

7. HKB

HKB New Member

I don't think so. Those things (Nike, bands) also have Facebooks and MySpaces. Twitter is more like mini-blogging, texting, or instant messaging.

8. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I have a tumblr lol.
    No twitter. xD
    The whole 'mini-blogging' thing just doesn't sound that interesting to me.
    I like to ramble haha.

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Twitter, Facebook, Myspace

I don't see the point in Twitter or for the fact of the matter Facebook and Myspace.
    Isn't there a line of privacy.
    It feels like those sites are meant for you to give your sense of privacy up.
    And also they are just ridiculous to begin with.

10. HKB

HKB New Member

Huh? In regards to privacy, what's the difference between Twitter or another social networking site vs. these forums? You control the information you give.

11. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Twitter, Facebook, myspace. It truly enables young children.
    You have to deck out your profile.
    You have to post pictures of yourself.
    Because there is the sense that is normal.
    In a forum, people aren't concerned with your decked out profile.

12. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

So what if people can see your pictures? If you don't give out your address/town etc. it isn't as if it matters.
    You have pictures of yourself IRL. People see your face IRL.
    What is the difference when it comes to people over the internet knowing what you look like?
    And on myspace (I'm not sure of the others), there is an option to put your profile on private so only your friends can see it.
    Some people enjoy it, others don't.
    It's still up to them how much privacy they want. I've had a myspace for years... mainly out of habit.

And I don't see what decorating a profile has to do with privacy.
    Whether or not on forums they are concerned with such things there is still a matter of privacy and the information you give out.

-shrug-

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

On those they see their friend put a picture of them on their profile.
    They do the same.
    That is what the profile matters.
    I've seen it happen a lot, girls giving out complete and total strangers on the internet their phone numbers.
    On Twitter, Facebook, and Myspace.
    Even if it is private, that number can spread through the systems like wild fire.
    And the reason they gave their phone because their friend enabled them.

14. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

Yeah, but you can give away your phone number and any other information out on forums as well. Or any site you 'join'.
    Not just those ones. The only difference is the main objective on myspace and such is mostly posting photo's and decorating your profile to show your 'personality'.
    But still. Information is information - you can leak it out anywhere on the internet.
    And it is up to the individual person - it isn't as if any of those sites force the person to give up their phone numbers to random strangers, etc.

On this forum, on myspace... I can still tell you where I live or what to dial.
    I can still post pictures of myself.
    o_o

15. HKB

HKB New Member

Leaka,
    What are you saying people are doing with strangers' phone numbers? Who cares if teenagers give out their phone numbers and have a "decked out" Myspace, and some how those two things are related? Is this about pervs? You realize the internet didn't invent perverts, right?
    These forums have profiles, you can post your picture, blog, your age, etc. It's no different.

16. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Apart from 4 things - WF forums, Email, LOLcats and Chuck Norris

Nothing else matters. (Kick starts Metallica's "nothing else matters")

17. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Word. :p

18. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.
    In Myspace, Facebook, Twitter....they sort of enabling that attitude though, "Yo dude ya brother have to be cool and gives us pictures"

Where as here in a forum, it's more like "Check out these thread brother, come post and chat"

19. HKB

HKB New Member

But what's wrong with pictures?

20. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

WTF is Twitter? There sure are a lot of blogging websites out there. :confused:

I guess I just like to keep it simple. Facebook + myspace (which I hardly even use anymore lol) = I'm more than good

21. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Internet stalkers
    Perverts
    Fetishes
    etc.
    People aren't aware of this.
    And that infringes on their safety and their privacy.

22. HKB

HKB New Member

Oh pfft. Like I said, perverts, fetishists, and stalkers were not invented by the internet nor do I believe they are particularly enabled by social networking sites simply because they can see a picture of someone with a name to match. Most of your encounters with perverts, fetishists, and stalkers will not be through the internet, but through school, at work, on dates, at parties, relatives, friends, friends of friends, etc. There is no especial or heightened danger from having a MySpace or Facebook page.

23. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

I'm pretty sure a lot of people are. And a lot of people aren't.
    But a picture is a picture... they can't stalk you if they have no idea where you are, even if they know what you look like.
    And people can stalk you IRL even without ever finding you on the internet.
    And you really can't blame that on sites like myspace etc.
    Hell, we can posts our pictures right on this forum. There is an entire thread dedicated to it.

So I don't get your point about privacy directly relating to those few sites.
    It's the entirety of the internet.
    And people's personal choices.
    My avatar is a picture of me on this 'forum'.

24. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

I agree with HKB. It's not as if the internet invented perverts or creepy weirdos. It's just made the public a lot more aware of their existence is all. I don't see the harm in having pictures so long as it's not anything overload.

25. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Myspace is probably the most private social-networking site avaliable on the internet, simply because of the sheer level of applications you can apply to your page to make it private.
    You can hide your friends, you can hide your comments, you can hide sections of your profile, you can hide your pictures, you can hide your picture comments, you can even set your pictures so that they cannot be copy and pasted, saved or linked. Heck, you can hide your entire profile so that only those you accept as 'friends' can access it...

yeah there's a bunch of psychos out there but I highly doubt they're hanging around social networking sites that exercise such an emphasis on security. The chances of you being stalked on soical networking sites like myspace boarder lines impossible if you are careful with the information you give out ... and from my experience you can give out quite a bit of information to a stranger before they get any real idea of who you are and where you 'might' live.. even then you have the fantastic option of blocking them and deleting them from your myspace, which basically means they're denied access from your profile and from contacting you (I'm pretty sure they can't even send friend requests if they've been blocked).

So yeah, alot of misunderstanding about le social networking sites out there which of course generates unneccessary amounts of fear within people using the internet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.